Sunday, July 14, 2019

Alligator Ambush

Another battle in my fictitious East Florida American Revolution Campaign

After his initial defeat, Col. James Endicott retired his Patriot force to the north side of Alligator Creek. The British commander, Major Heyward sent his forces in pursuit.

A company of British Dragoons forge ahead over Alligator Creek, only to run into a line of Georgia militia.

After suffering losses due to musket fire, the Dragoons retire and allow the regulars to advance.

First Company charges forward and overwhelms a militia company but is likewise cut down.
Game Note: The above was an interesting exchange. The Brits charged the Patriots; both sides already had a hit and 2 hits resulted in a rout. In the ensuing melee, both units got hit and routed. This bothered me and had me debating ways to prevent a simultaneous kill. My initial thought is to have attackers roll first and then allow the defenders to roll only if they survive. I am wavering on this rule and currently am of the thought not to make changes and allow simo-kills.

Similarly, the Rangers advance only to get chewed up by Patriot musketry.

Meanwhile, the Overmountain Men in the woods harass the Dragoons until they break. This leaves only one British company.

It beats a hasty retreat.

Game Notes:

  • I played this scenario with the latest version of my microbattle rules, this time updated for horse & musket encounters.
  • I think the scenario s based on a One Hour Wargames scenario but I cannot remember for certain.
  • I have turned last year's Independence Day battle into a campaign. Right now, Endicott has evened the score, with the campaign tied at 1-1.
  • The campaign score could have been 2-0 in favor of the Brits. When I first played the second battle on July 3, the British won. However, I lost the photos in cyberspace. And when it comes to blogging, if there are no photos it did not happen. Fortuitously for the Americans the replay went in their favor!

2 comments:

  1. I'm no a fan of simultaneous kills either. Sometimes I tweak rules to fix them. Some rules only have one side taking damage in an exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm OK with them in skirmishes (I've seen plenty of simo-kills in LARPs) but for large scale battles it seems weird. Right now I'm thinking of having the low scorer try to save first. If it fails and is destroyed or routed then the high scorer ignores any hits.

    ReplyDelete