Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Breakthrough

I'm experimenting with modern era rules to use for steampunk battles. Since I don't have my figures yet, I decided to return to the planet Zirconia, where the Federation is battling the robotic Dominion for control.

After defeating a Dominion attack, Tex's Tigers are once again on the advance. They are accompanied by a unit of mobile missile launchers (treating them like light armor). Their orders are to advance past the town of Jaynestown.
Note - this is scenario 3 - Breakthrough, from THW's Hell Hath No Fury.

The Tigers (blue) run into Dominion tanks. A shootout begins, but all shots ping off their armor.

The missile launchers join the fray, damaging an enemy tank.

And then destroying it.

More enemy tanks engage, but they take a beating. They also leave the road into town unguarded. The Tigers make a beeline for town.

Tex advances through town. He'll be joined by 2 missile tanks. One is forced to retire.

Unfortunately, one of the Tigers gets separated and then swarmed by the enemy. It puts up a stout fight but cannot defeat the heavy odds.

Despite the loss, Tex achieves his objective. The Dominion falls back in disarray, allowing the Federation to liberate the northern province (The Tigers win the campaign 3-1).

And Now for Something (Not) Completely Different
For my steampunk project, I am going back to physical terrain (as opposed to drawn terrain). I picked up some pot scrubbers and made some woods. I decided to give them a quick test.

The Tigers are advancing through an opening between wooded areas.

They get ambushed. One Tiger brews up!

Although they damage two enemy tanks, they are forced back. Another Tiger is destroyed!

Tex beats a hasty retreat.

Conclusion - my new woods look much better for photos!

Rules Thoughts
Tex's battles have been fought with a variant of Age of Heroes, a sci-fi skirmish set I found on Lead Adventure Forum. Recently, I noticed that they work similar to my MicroBattle rules. Oddly, that makes me feel less bad about tinkering.

Anyway, I made some changes. I found that I kept forgetting the units' Attack and Defend/Armor stats. I had to keep referring to the rules. I like it when I can play without referencing the rules. I decided to simplify.

Attacking

  • Hit on roll of 4+ on a D6
  • Add 1 to roll if advantaged (e.g. marksmen) or subtract 1 if disadvantaged (e.g. long range, target in cover). Advantages and disadvantages can negate each other.
Defending
  • If hit, roll 4+ on a D6 to negate the hit (bounces of armor or otherwise causes negligible damage)
  • Add 1 to roll if advantaged or subtract 1 if disadvantaged
    • Flank attacks cause disadvantage. Rear attacks are double disadvantage (-2)
    • Firepower vs. Armor Effect
      • Firepower and armor are classified as Light, Medium, or Heavy
      • If firepower is heavier than armor, then roll with a disadvantage
      • If armor is heavier than firepower, then roll with an advantage
I used these changes in the Breakthrough scenario (above) and found it far more intuitive. I'll have to experiment with some infantry on the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment