Saturday, November 28, 2020

I Tried

 I really did. I resolved on playing a game using my miniatures. I wanted to try out my latest generic quick-play rules.

But then this happened.

And per house rules, the game ends when the cat sits on the game board.

Onyx also decided to try out the box top.


I had previously managed to experiment using my rules to run a skirmish. This was thrown together; I'm using blood spatters to represent cover.


Instead of gaming, I have been watching a lot of Me, Myself, and Die, which I previously discussed.

A couple of games caught my attention.

Savage Worlds

I've investigated SW before but never tried it. It used all the funky D&D dice, while I prefer choosing one type. 

But while watching Trevor Devall play, I was interested in the damage system. Rather than rolling damage and recording lost hit points, the amount of damage caused is determined by how well you succeeded (i.e. how far above the target your roll was). A weak hit merely stuns the enemy. Stronger hits cause wounds. The standard grunt will be incapacitated by a single wound, but major characters (PCs and significant NPCs) can take 3.

From what I saw, combat progressed more rapidly, without the long attritional slog that can occur in D&D with powerful characters. I'm now pondering ways to add a shaken mechanic to my rules.

Ironsworn

For the second season, Devall is using Ironsworn, a solo, co-op, or guided rpg of "perilous quests" in a "dark fantasy" setting. 

What intrigued me is the resolution system. You roll a D6 + modifiers and 2 D10s. Results are as follows:

  • The modified D6 > both D10s = a strong hit, where things go really well for your character
  • The modified D6 > one D10 but not the other = a weak hit. Your character succeeds but there's a twist
  • The modified D6 <= both D10s = a miss. Bad things happen.
It seems like a very elegant way to determine the measure of success. I'm currently reading the rules now to better understand the system, but I am intrigued.

By the way, both games are available at DriveThruRPG.

No comments:

Post a Comment