Saturday, October 16, 2021

Tales from the Woods

A Tweedle and Dunh Adventure

One day, Groombal orders our heroes, Tweedle and Dunh, to go into the woods to find briar heart. They'll need to cut down a tree so Dunh brings an axe.

A little ways into the woods, 3 crazed wolves attack.

Before they know it, the wolves are upon them. Tweedle does not have time to cast a spell, so he sets to it with his staff. He manages to KO the attacking him. He turns to help Dunh, who is beset by two. Dunh chops one with his axe and Tweedle takes out the next.

Later, they discover a pool of befouled water. Its contents are seeping through the forest, spreading corruption.

"Something's just not right about these woods." declares Tweedle. Dunh agrees.

Our heroes are attacked by 2 scorpions.

Tweedle casts mirror image to confuse them. One attacks the mirror images, dispelling two before Tweedle offs it. 

Dunh is having problems with the other. It inflicts multiple wounds; fortunately it does not poison Dunh. Finally, Tweedle and Dunh gang up on the last and kill it.

They proceed deeper in the woods. A shambling mound attacks.

Tweedle tries to scare it away with a fire illusion, but the spell fails. Dunh charges, and strikes his axe deep into its side. The axe gets stuck.

The thing grapples Dunh, dragging him into its slimy mass. But Dunh manages to free his arm and grab his sword. He strikes, severing pieces of vegetation from the creature. The thing recoils in pain, allowing Dunh to get free. 

Enraged, Dunh charges, slicing several bits from the creature. Finally, Tweedle smashes it with his staff, and the thing crumples lifeless.

By this time, Dunh is seriously wounded. But they are deep in the forest with no safe place to rest. They press on.

Finally, they come to a hut. They knock and a lovely druidess answers. She invites them into her stone-floored home.

Seeing Dunh's wounds, she offers a healing potion. Dunh reaches for it.

"Wait!" warns Tweedle. "Something is just not right here."

Dunh hesitates. The druidess' appearance changes. She transforms into a hideous hag! With a cry of anger, she fires a magic missile at Tweedle. It just grazes him!

The hag attacks Tweedle, but only manages to dispel his last mirror image. Tweedle casts a protection spell. It fails to stop the hag and she rends him with her claws.

Dunh turns to his friend's defense, chopping into the hag with his axe.

"I think I'm getting the hang of this thing!"

The hag continues to press Tweedle, rending him again. But Tweedle lashes out, smashing in the hag's skull.

🎲🎲🎲

Our heroes spend the night in the hut. They bind their wounds and get some rest. They even find some briar heart.

"I didn't even need this thing," Dunh complains about his axe.

Their return trip home is uneventful. They tell Groombal about their adventures. Surprisingly, he is gravely concerned.

"I don't think the hag was the source of the corruption. There is more evil in that forest than you have seen so far."

GAME NOTES
Lately, I've been watching a YouTube channel called Dungeon Craft. The host talks about a lot of RPG topics, including crafting terrain for use with miniatures. This inspired me to do a little crafting.

I sifted through my 10mm fantasy miniatures for some suitable figures. The best I could find for Dunh was an axe-wielding barbarian. I decided to create an adventure to explain why he switched from sword and shield to axe. Hence the trip to the woods.

I then needed some forest terrain. I had some green felt for the floor. I whipped up some trees using cork, corrugated cardboard, and pot scrubbers. I think they do the job.

I made the stone floor earlier in the week. It is inspired by Dungeon Craft, but much simpler and less realistic. I used corrugated cardboard because I have a lot of it lying around, thanks to ordering pet supplies from Chewy for my 4 cats.

Finally, I started painting some fantasy figures I had lying around.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed some actual pictures of my RPG adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment