Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Counter Intuitive

The Inspiration
I'll be on vacation for a few days next week. This has me considering options for a portable wargame to bring, which led me to pondering block armies and counters.

The Problem
I am glacially slow when it comes to painting. Combined with my GADD (gaming attention deficit disorder), I tend not to get things done. As a result, I end up with a backlog of stalled projects (like thisthis, and this).

Counters could be the solution to my lead pile problem. I can whip them out much quicker than painting. Problem is I have had difficulty finding counters that I like.

The Experiment
I decided to take a stab at making some generic counters. I used some Junior General top downs as templates. I did them at a larger scale then shrank them down so they would fit on 1" bases. I eschewed a lot of detail; at the scale I plan to print, details won't show up.

Here is my test batch - some cavalry, infantry, and artillery.

I like the look. Now to print and mount a test run.

Counter Thoughts
I'm even thinking about creating counters for RPGs. I would probably do side view as opposed to top down, like what I did with my virtual skirmish games.

4 comments:

  1. Your top-down counters look very good; perfect for any 'Horse & Musket' period wargame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not print your own, but have as 2D (upright) images - in the same style as the “Wofun” images? Just a thought…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried upright 2D figs but I never got into the look. Coming from board games, however, 2D counters just look right to me.

    ReplyDelete