Monday, February 5, 2018

2D6 Skirmish Rules

Below are the rules I used in Sunday's skirmish.

Design Philosophy
These rules are intended for RPG-like skirmishes where a small party of heroes (2 - 4 characters) takes on the bad guys. Most often, these baddies will be bands of weak minions, but the heroes can stumble onto harder monstrosities or the big boss. In order to survive these challenges, the rules definitively favor the heroes.


Turn Sequence

  1. Roll Initiative
  2. Winner takes actions
    • Roll to activate characters
    • Move activated characters
    • Activated characters may engage in combat
    • If applicable, enemy rolls morale
  3. Loser takes actions
    • Roll to activate characters
    • Move activated characters
    • Activated characters may engage in combat
    • If applicable, enemy rolls morale

Initiative

  • Roll initiative each turn to see if the heroes act first
  • The heroes will have initiative on a roll of 3+
    • The roll may be modified if the heroes have situational advantages or disadvantages (such as an ambush).

Activation
  • The heroes automatically activate each turn
  • Enemy minions activate on a roll of 3+ (this number can be tweaked as applicable). Roll individually for each minion.

Movement
  • Roll D3 for movement points (number of squares allowed to move)

Combat
  • Hero Attacks - heroes must roll 7+ on 2D6 to hit enemy. If successful, roll damage.
  • Enemy Attacks - the enemy does not roll; instead, heroes must roll 7+ on 2D6 to avoid getting hit. If they fail, roll damage.
  • Damage - 1 wound on roll of 1-3 on D6; 2 wounds on roll of 4-6.
    • Note that minions typically are knocked out with 2 wounds while heroes can take more (I haven't decided exactly how many yet).

All rolls mentioned above can receive + or - modifiers depending on circumstances.

As you can see, these are just bare bones rules at this point in time. I will be fleshing them out over time. I especially want to add character skills and advancement rules.

5 comments:

  1. An interesting approach to enemy minion shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I started using the mechanic of having the PCs do all the rolling with a homebrew RPG I ran. I felt it sped up the game and gave the players a greater sense of control over their fate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently tried these set of skirmish rules and enjoy using them from time to time. Though I wasn't sure if you were developing beyond the basics. I picked up Pits & Perils RPG that does something similar to what you were doing here besides the activation (d6 initiative) along with damage following up the attack roll (ex: a roll of 9 on 2d6 inflicts 1 hit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I abandoned these in favor of a variation on my MicroBattle rules, which use a single D6. They were inspired by Age of Heroes, a free set on Lead Adventure Forum - https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123510.msg1558648#msg1558648

      Delete
    2. Ah alright, but looking at age of heroes I really dig the rules along with the play reports you did too. I will use these for my fantasy firefights and see what I can tweak for myself. Have a good weekend!

      Delete