Saturday, April 21, 2018

Attention Span of a Gnat

Like a gnat, I've been flitting around with various projects.

The First New Minis Project
I mentioned last week that I ordered some miniatures, which I would reveal when I unboxed them. They're still not here, but I can't wait any longer. I made my first foray into Shapeways and ordered these:

They're V-2 rockets. I wasn't happy with my 2-D rocket tokens (when I zoom in the photos, the wood grain becomes visible). I wanted to order some retro sci fi rockets but I couldn't find any. Then I had the idea to look into historical rockets. The V-2 looks sufficiently old school.

Distracted by Another Project
Then during the week, I got the bug for a project from November that stalled. At the time, I was using THW's Machinas for post-apocalyptic vehicular mayhem. I was using my wife's Hot Wheels but wanted to go smaller. Well, this week I ordered some 6mm bikers and various cars from Microworld Games. Here is a photo of some of the cars (photo from their website)


I am experimenting with some new mechanics that streamline the game for solo play. I like what I have so far; just need some tweaks.

And Yet Another Project
Recently, the various forums and blogs I frequent (including Stronghold Rebuilt) have featured quite a few posts about gladiator games. This has piqued my interest and I want to do my own gladiator project. However, I plan to do it with a twist. It won't be historical but instead will be a post-apocalyptic death arena. For combatants, I ordered some of Microworld's Wastelanders, such as these mutants.

I'm not sure what to do about rules. I haven't found anything specifically for space gladiators so I am reviewing rules for Roman gladiators. The issue I foresee with gladiator rules is that in a 1 on 1 fight there is not much scope for maneuvering, which leads to a simple dice off. I would like to see some player decision points, perhaps a choice of attacks and/or defenses. However, I don't want to see too much complexity in case I want to run team battles. The search continues.

And This Makes 500!
I just noticed that this is my 500th post on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment