Saturday, October 19, 2019

Paladin Steamroller

A band of Blood Orcs (in red of course) emerge from the Shadow Deep to raid the peaceful lands of Telluria. Two lances of paladins and one of rangers block the way.

A charging orc band is decimated by the rangers' arrows.

The defenders charge! The paladins mix it up with some orc scouts.

The Shadow Deep (ably played by Onyx the Cat) looms larger but the defenders take the fight to the foe.

Two more orc bands are decimated.

The remaining orcs flee back into the Shadow Deep

Notes
Since my last post I have been jotting down ideas for small-scale fantasy rules. They are not quite skirmish, I am not using or tracking individuals; figures operate as units. However, each figure is essentially 1 man. As I pondered my options I thought about Dragon Rampant, which is also essentially a small-scale unit-based set of rules. My main issues with DR has been the buckets of dice / large number of hits per unit. I wondered if I could mitigate that by dividing hits and dice by 3 (giving 2 to 4 per unit). But then that messes up the way armor works . . . OH HECK WITH IT. I'll just write my own!

I gave the good guys 3 attack dice and hits per unit while the bad guys got 2. The good guys also got better armor. My goal is to have a small but superior force of good guys battling swarms of fragile bad guys. Well, the good guys were just too good - they just rolled over the bad guys without breaking a sweat. The biggest issue was activation. I basically used the Song of Blades and Heroes mechanic with the bad guys rolling 1D per unit. They just rolled horribly, resulting in a bunch of orcs just milling about waiting to get slaughtered by the paladins. I may need to rethink activation (I may use Squad Hammer's rule instead).

On another note, this marks the debut of my generic armies (at least infantry).

No comments:

Post a Comment