Sunday, June 28, 2020

Paladin's Quest

I have started a new blog, called Paladin's Quest, that covers my experiences as a Christian LARPer. Only problem is that COVID is preventing me from LARPing. I am compensating with some dungeon crawl gaming.

I played out the first adventure and posted the report there.
Edit - During a blog re-org, I deleted my TTRPG posts on my Paladin's Path (formerly Paladin's Quest) blog. I'm leaving this post here as a reminder of this short-lived campaign.

I thought I'd discuss the game design here.

The adventure is based on the 1980s Basic D&D module Castle Caldwell (specifically the first adventure). I laid out a simplified version of the castle with 10 designated encounter areas.


I then created a list of possible encounters. I added a couple more empty encounters.
I made one change to the module and made the main boss an ogre. I recently played Castle Caldwell with a D&D group, and the DM made this same change. It seemed to work well so I copied it.

The stats listed on the table are Attacks (ATT), Fight (F), Defense (Df), Damage (Dmg) and Health Points (HP). They are used with the dungeon crawl rules I have been developing over the past month, as described here. This time, however, I used 2 heroes instead of 1. The heroes did not get multiple attacks per combat round.

I made a set of numbered cards, then set them out in accordance with the castle's layout.

For example, the gatehouse is populated by encounter # 4, which is a party of goblins.

Note that I am using meeples and blood tokens to keep track of attackers and wounds.

I knew that the boss was in the keep, but I didn't want the party to go straight there, so I created a mechanic to force them to explore more areas. They needed to find the key to the keep, which was randomly located elsewhere on the grounds. I ruled that they found the key on a D10 roll less than the number of completed encounters. As it turns out, they found the key pretty quickly, resulting in a short adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment