Saturday, June 5, 2021

(Greek) Fire on the Med

Once again, I find my attention blown off course. I'm not abandoning the Byzantines, but I am toying with a different theater of war - naval! Yes, I've been thinking of doing some naval wargames featuring the Byzantines vs. Arab or Turks. 

Now I have a few Renaissance galleys from Tumbling Dice, but they are not entirely accurate for medieval Byzantines. I found that Navwar does some Byzantine dromons in 1/1200 scale, but this a little bigger than I'd like.

I have also been looking for rules. I have a copy of Osprey's Poseidon's Warriors, but it is designed for classical naval warfare. I was interested in finding something that would cover medieval Byzantine sea battles. I found a couple by promising titles by David Manley on Wargame Vault. One in particular caught my eye. Called He Hemetera Thalassa, Mare Nostrum (hereafter MN), it is a set designed for fleet actions with multi-ship bases. 

The concept intrigued me, so now I am considering this approach. But I want a base to fit into a 1 inch square. I would need really tiny galleys. A little searching led me to Outpost Wargame Services, who offer a range of 1/3600 galleys. SteelonSandBlog has a nice overview of these minis. They are ancient rather than medieval galleys, so the look is off. But at that scale will it matter? I think these will work.

Right now, here is the plan I have in mind:

  • Order a pack each of quinquiremes, triremes, and merchant ships from Outpost
  • Base multiple ships (2-3 depending how they fit) on 1 inch square bases
  • Borrow from MN to create a galley war variant of my MicroBattle rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment