Saturday, January 20, 2024

To the Sea!

Just as I was getting a set of gladiator rules in order, GADD struck again and I've moved on to other interests.

This time, the culprit behind my GADD is a book. Specifically this one.


This book is chock full of action scenes that just beg to be wargames. It's given me a hankering for some naval action. I envision a campaign of small ship actions. Perhaps a couple of torpedo boats attacking enemy shipping, bombarding coastal emplacements, and tackling the opposition's counterparts.

Rules?
As I careen down this rabbit hole, the first question I have is what rules to use. More specifically, I ask what rules can I modify. Nowadays, I tend to take ideas from other rules and plug them into my MicroBattle framework. Works best for me.

My main issue is lack of space. I generally find myself with about 1 foot square of gaming space. That generally is not enough for full-scale naval maneuvers. For air combat, I solved the problem by using abstract relative movement. I'm not sure how to do that with naval.

I'm also not sure what era to use. I kind of prefer ironclads, but most rules in this era are American Civil War (no interest) or fleet battles. I'm not really finding much for smaller ships. I could use rules for coastal actions in WW2. I'm not sure it will have the ironclad feel. I suppose I should look into ACW.

Anyway, I'm still searching for rules.

Figures
The next question is what figures to use. 

I have a small selection on Irregular Miniatures 2mm modern ships. I could dig those out. I'm not sure I have all the ones I need for my desired games and I don't really want to order more.

I'm also thinking of making counters. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Finally, there is the possibility that I could convert this project to a sci fi game - essentially navies in space.


3 comments:

  1. I think you may be able to abstract out the naval as well. For other rules with abstracting out the movement Pz8 had some naval rules using a few range bands, THW also has some abstract naval and space rules.
    I have some medieval naval rules that is on my low priority list to convert to 6x6 grid but have no real firm ideas on how to do that yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pz8 is one of the rules sets I'm perusing right now

      Delete
  2. I was hoping to find something close at hand for experiments. Nothing so far. I really need a printer

    ReplyDelete