Mission # - 6
Target - Radar Station
- Bombers - first wave = 2 Condor bombers
- Escorts - 2 Raptor fighters
- Defenders - 3 Chick fighters (blue and yellow) and 2 Goshawk fighters (silver and blue)
Note - The "Chicks" are considered inferior fighters (D6+0 move) while the Raptors and Goshawks are average (D6+1).
After Action Report
With their forces decimated, the Empire makes a last ditch effort to salvage the campaign. Once again they target the radar station but can only muster 2 medium bombers and 2 escorts.
The Lucranians are able to scramble a squadron of Chick fighters, leftovers from the previous war. They are outdated compared to the Goshawks and Raptors but their pilots are determined to stop the invaders.
First blood - one Raptor damaged (top) and one shot down (bottom)
The defenders make numerous passes at the bombers but keep missing. This becomes a recurring theme.
The Goshawk manages to evade and pursues the bombers. Meanwhile, a pair of Chicks finally hone their aim and manage to down a bomber.
The Goshawk manages to damage the other bomber before it flies into AA range.
Fortunately, the anti-aircraft gunners prove their worth, knocking the bomber from the skies before it deposits its payload.
Once again the radar station is saved!
With his forces depleted, Air Marshal Gruber realizes that the campaign cannot succeed. He calls off any future missions and begins rebuilding his forces.
- Because of losses, the Imperial bomber squadrons are severely undermanned. Thus, the 2 squadrons in this raid were only able to field 2 bombers. Similarly, the escorts are under-strength. The Lucranians managed to get lucky and rolled a full-strength squadron as one of the defenders.
- I plan to introduce "inferior" fighters to the line-up. They (some Irregular biplanes) are on the painting table so I substituted, demoting some Goshawks to Chicks and Peregrines to Goshawks.
- At this point, the Imperials cannot win the campaign. All targets are still intact so at best they can only destroy one. Thus, I decided to call an end to the campaign, with a decided Lucranian victory! I'll start a new campaign eventually.