Friday, March 29, 2024

Napoleonic Knockout # 3

Time for another battle in my Napoleonic Knockout campaign.

Geoff noted after the last battle: "Although the Russians were victorious and conquered Austria, it does mean that they now have considerably longer borders to protect from the Ottoman threat."

As it turns out, the Russians decide to neutralize the threat by invading the Ottomans.

Quick Game Notes
  • I'm getting a little bored of the back-and-forth that can occur in this game, so I decided to move into sudden death. Whoever wins the battle wins the war and conquers the other side.
  • Because the Russians have more territory, I gave them an extra unit. I also increased their break point by 1.
  • I randomly rolled terrain and got a river. I decided that it was fordable.
The Battle
The Russian invaders approach a shallow river and find the Ottoman army opposing them.

The Russians try to cross via the bridge while their cavalry crosses some fords (right). The attackers take casualties but the Russians have some success with their cavalry.

The Turks push some Russian cavalry back across the river. Meanwhile, another division of Russian cavalry attacks the Ottoman artillery.

The Russian cavalry gets destroyed. The Turks now try to take the bridge.

And succeed! This routs the Russians.

Aftermath
Russia falls to the Turks!

Here is our current campaign map.

Next up - Roused from their complacency by the threat of Napoleon, the British invade France. Stay tuned for our next chapter.

1 comment:

  1. The Ottomans are victorious. Will we all soon be wearing “baggy trousers”?
    I’ll be watching for news of the British invasion of France. I trust King George’s armies will give the Frenchies a drubbing 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete