I was perusing the One-Hour Wargames scenarios and came across scenario 23 - Defense in Depth. It struck me as a perfect scenario for the next chapter of the Grayrock Revolution.
I randomly rolled up the army compositions and came up with:
- Bluderia - 4 Infantry, 1 Skirmisher, and 1 Cavalry
- In addition, Black Bart makes an appearance
- Grayrock - 2 Infantry, 1 Skirmisher, and 1 Cavalry
- Per the scenario, 2 units must be converted to Irregulars (essentially Skirmishers). I chose to convert and Infantry and a Skirmisher.
- I randomly rolled the Bluderian set-up. The units are (from left of picture) 3 infantry, 1 skirmisher, 1 cavalry, 1 infantry. Black Bart is attached to the leftmost infantry.
- I placed a Grayrock infantry in the town of Kramer's Crossing (left). The irregulars were in the 2 woods near the river while the cavalry waited on the hill.
- Fords across the river are marked with stones (actually fresh kitty litter on a circular base)
- Another patch of stones marked the exit point for the Bluderians. They need to get 3 units off the board by the end of turn 15.
|The Bluderians advance toward the river.|
|On the right, Bluderian infantry head to the ford.|
In the center, Bluderian musketry scour the wood.
Both advances are met with withering fire.
|The Grayrock irregulars abandon the woods.|
Bluderian cavalry cross the ford (right).
Seeing the Grayrockian cavalry on the hill, the Bluderian horse charged. Meanwhile, Black Bart decided to abandon the attack on Kramer's Crossing. Instead, he pushed his troops toward the northern ford. Fire from the other woods routed another Bluderian infantry unit.
Bluderia's superior horsemen prevailed and the Grayrockians were swept away.
|Grayrock cavalry is swept away|
|Bluderian cavalry rush to the road.|
Bluderian infantry tarry west of the river.
|The Bluderian Rifles find themselves in trouble|
The Rifles managed to drive off some irregulars, but the Grayrock infantry pursued and forced them to surrender.
|The Rifles surrender|
- Bluderians - 3 Infantry and 1 Skirmisher lost. 1 unit (Cavalry) exited.
- Grayrock - 1 Cavalry lost.
At one point, it looked like the Bluderians would get 2 of the 3 units off, with another close behind. If that happened, I would have declared it a minor victory for the Grayrockians. Although their position would have been turned, they would have been successful in delaying the enemy. However, fortunes turned and the King's Rifles got swamped while the Bluderian infantry could not get across the river. As such, it turned out to be an even more impressive victory for Grayrock.