Sunday, March 4, 2018

Another Skirmish

Since yesterday's skirmish I've been pondering mecha rules. Samurai Robot Battle Royale seemed a little slow for my tastes. I looked into a couple of other rules sets from Wargame Vault but they weren't exactly what I was looking for either.

This morning I had an inspiration. Use Bob Cordery's 20th Century rules from the Portable Wargame and adapt them for sci fi battles incuding mechs. Inspired by SRBR, I tracked damage by body part (head, right arm, left arm, torso, and legs) for the mechs.

Here is my experiment - another skirmish between robot (gray) and human mechs. Once again, tanks are standing in for mechs.

The human mech is trundling up the road to the town. The robot mech jumps out from behind the rocks and fires, damaging the human mech's left arm

Note - For activation, I used the Ganesha Games mechanic. When a body part is damaged, its Quality becomes 1 higher. Thus, if my Quality is 3, I would need a 4 to activate that body part.

The human mech makes it into the town, giving it cover. The robot mech launches a missile salvo. A huge explosion engulfs the human mech. Its right arm and head are damaged!

The two mechs trade torso hits. The robot mech wants to move back to the cover of the rocks, but its systems could not handle multiple actions (not enough activations). It decides to launch another missile salvo, which misses!

The human mech unleashes hell. Cannon fire and missiles spew forth, ripping into the robot mech. A shot penetrates its torso and rips through the engine room. The engines explode!

I must say that this gave a quick (about 20 minutes) and intense game!

No comments:

Post a Comment