Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Zirconia Counter Attack

Battle 3 of the Zirconian Campaign
After defeat at Vesta, the Dominion (robot) advance continued. The Zirconian (human) defenders are rushing forces forward towards a strategic hill and crossroads.

Background Notes

  • This is my first test run of Squad Hammer, a set of rules for "dirt simple gaming for many settings..or all of them." I picked it up recently based on some posts on TWW and Stronghold Rebuilt (e.g this). I was pleased on my initial read-through so I've been itching to try them out.
  • It has been a while since I played a game set on Zirconia, but I decided to dust off the campaign for this experiment.
After Action Report
Dominion forces (bottom) are pushing along the roads, heading to the Space Templar sanctuary on Mystere Island. A force consisting of robot infantry and mobile artillery is passing through the town of Newton (left) while more infantry and armor advance on the right.

Opposing them are two groups of Zirconian infantry (left and right) and an armored column (center - 2 tanks and a missile launcher). Alas, before the battle begins one of the infantry units on the left is destroyed by a greater cat-beast.
Note - the sample units section of Squad Hammer includes a "large, black long-haired house cat-beast"  that destroys any figure it removes from the table. Well, my large, black, long-haired house cat-beast decided to play with a unit of Zirconian infantry, leading to the first casualty of the game - before the first turn began!

One of the tanks rushes forward to the island. It gets caught in a crossfire and is destroyed.

The Dominion armor on the hill takes damage. Another greater cat-beast prowls on the edge of the battlefield (no casualties though).
Note - Ollie, a brown tabby, also enjoyed the game

Dominion infantry advances on the island under the cover of withering fire that damages a missile launcher and infantry.

The Dominion infantry and artillery come under fire.

But the advance continues. One unit seizes the Templar sanctuary while another assaults the Zirconian armor.

Heavy combat destroys 2 Dominion and 1 Zirconian infantry.

Then the Zirconian missile launcher is pummeled.

Fearing that the Dominion may control the crossroads, the Zirconian armor makes a mad dash forward.

It survives heavy fire and overruns the robot infantry. Meanwhile, the Zirconians drive the robots out of the sanctuary on the island.

The armor is destroyed by sustained fire. Zirconian infantry follows up and reclaims the crossroads, but also gets destroyed.

The crossroads remains in Dominion hands, inflicting yet another defeat on the Zirconians and effectively ending all resistance. Soon after, Dominion forces seize the capital and secure control of the planet.

Thoughts
  • As mentioned, this is my first attempt with Squad Hammer. I will record my thoughts in a later post. Overall, I am pleased and plan some more experiments.
  • I decided to play the rules as written, including move and combat distances. Because my flip-mats have been cut down, I didn't really have a large enough battlefield. I improvised one with some brown wrapping paper with terrain drawn on. I will be looking to grid-ify the rules in future experiments.
  • I am counting this as a battle in the Zirconian campaign. The Dominion now has won 3 battles and lost none, giving them the campaign. Zirconia falls to the robot overlords. I may start a new campaign, with the Federation trying to drive out the Dominion.

4 comments:

  1. "I decided to play the rules as written, including move and combat distances. Because my flip-mats have been cut down, I didn't really have a large enough battlefield. I improvised one with some brown wrapping paper with terrain drawn on. I will be looking to grid-ify the rules in future experiments."

    It plays in an amazingly small area. I've been playing Trench Hammer, which uses 6" infantry moves and assault ranges and 12" firefights, but which fits on a 2' x 2' board. And it works. That's with units on a 3-4" frontage. Play with units on a 3-4cm frontage and you could play on an area less than a foot square by switching to cm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. My units are on a 2cm frontage. I'm looking to play games on 10" x 16" gridded mat (with 1" squares). I could use a ruler to measure cms. However, I would like to use the grid for measurement. I think dividing distances by 3 would work (i.e. infantry moves would be 2 squares and firefights would be 4 squares).

    ReplyDelete