Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 in Review

How did 2018 go, in terms of gaming? Let's take a look.

I started the year with an idea to try out 6 new games. First up was Dragon Rampant, using my block armies.

I then meandered aimlessly for a while, starting one project after another only to abandon them after a brief flirtation.

For example, I experimented with mecha rules (using tanks as stand-ins),

followed by dogfights,

and then gladiator rules.

I then got back into horse & musket gaming, ultimately adapting the Twilight of the Sun King rules.

Which led to Age of Sail naval battles. I created some 2D counters for my games.

I then turned to a post-apocalyptic setting, first with road battles.

Then, inspired by Kaptain Kobold, I developed some jousting rules. Lacking knight miniatures, I changed the setting to post-apocalyptic motorcycle jousting.

My father passed away in November.

I decided to get some B-57 minis (which he flew in his Air Force days) as a tribute. This led me to a search for air raid rules. From The Wargames Website, I learned of a set of Battle of Britain rules that make an excellent model for bomber runs. I've been playing with my miniatures for Aetheria (1930s imagi-nation).

I ended by experimenting with Squad-Hammer.

Which takes me to the end of the year. So, how were my predictions?
  • Six Game Challenge - I wanted to try out 6 new games but only managed 2 (if I include Squad-Hammer). I did some experiments based on new games (such as Blood Red Skies) but did not actually play any of the actual rules sets as written! So this was a fail.
  • Board Gamer - In January, I was enamored with blocks/counters so I thought I would ditch miniatures. Shortly thereafter, I went back to 2mm, and then later found myself stocking up on planes. Another fail. Nevertheless, I may revisit my blocks (inspired by this post at Wargaming Odyssey).
I would say that the theme of the year was GADD (Gamer's Attention Deficit Disorder). Stay tuned for my annual, usually useless, prognostications!

No comments:

Post a Comment