Saturday, May 4, 2019

Lazy Gamer Block Armies

It's been a while since my last installment of the Lazy Gamer's Guide. I had been discussing the principle of "going small" by using smaller miniatures and the options available for miniature gamers. Then I suggested another alternative - block armies. Let's discuss this topic today.

"Play a game with blocks?!" some may say in horror. Let me explain why it is a perfectly valid option for Lazy Gamers. A while back there was a post on The Miniatures Page (TMP) about the use of unpainted miniatures. I ruminated about the debate in a blog post, concluding that most miniature gamers on TMP appear to be high on the modeling aspect of the hobby whereas I was principally a gamer.

How I rate on the Gamer / Modeler axes
I suspect that most Lazy Gamers are like me; they just want to game and are not as interested in the "spectacle." (If the "spectacle" is important to you, you may as well just click away now ;) ). Well I found that block armies allow the lazy gamer to get to the game quickly with minimal preparations.

What do I mean by block armies? Instead of using miniatures for the units in my armies, I use painted wooden blocks. My blocks are small - 20 x 10 mm, 20 x 5 mm, or 10 x 10 mm pieces of 3mm thick wood that I got from Litko. You could, of course, make your own using bits of wood. I tried and found it difficult getting precise cuts. Litko does it for me efficiently and for a reasonable price. I just slap some paint on them and am ready to roll.

Infantry are the larger blocks, painted a solid color. I have recently added little bits of wood to act as flags. Light infantry are narrower blocks. Artillery are the smaller square blocks, with a cannon painted on them. Generals are square blocks with a flag painted on them (I'm using simple crosses for my Francesian armies)

Line Infantry, Artillery, Light Infantry, General
I am still trying to work out how to display cavalry in an aesthetically pleasing way. I was inspired by the blocks in the second picture of this post from Wargaming Odyssey. I used 2 smaller blocks on top instead of 1 (to signify heavy cavalry; I intended to use 1 block for lights). The top blocks obscure the bottom too much so I experimented with painting instead, However, I could not do a straight line. I am still experimenting with cavalry.

Two attempts at cavalry.
Anyway, in my eyes, one of the keys to making block armies work is the terrain. I personally think blocks look a little odd when used on terrain designed for figures. However, the original Kriegsspiel featured block armies maneuvering on a map, a look that I rather like.

A Kriegspiel game (from Wikipedia)
I have taken inspiration from Kriegsspiel and use a 2 dimensional map for my block army games. I picked up a Pathfinder flip mat and some dry-erase markers. I now draw out the scenario's terrain.

An example of a 2D battlefield
I think this approach gives a Kriegsspiel feel to my games (even if the map is not as detailed as a Kriegsspiel map). The other benefit is that it is incredibly easy to do; I do not have to spend any time building and painting terrain to play a game. It's the ultimate lazy gamer's battlefield!

Thus, I highly recommend block armies for the lazy gamer. The armies are very simple to prepare (especially if you order pre-cut blocks) and the map is a snap. It'll have you actually playing games in no time.

NEXT
Another aspect of going small is to reduce your battlefield.

3 comments:

  1. Kevin,
    I have been rummaging through your blog. I posted yesterday for the first time and asked about Francesia (i.e. if you had created rules and assembled them to be looked at - they sound intriguing). Just now I came across your "Lazy Gamer's Guide" and am following it now. Very entertaining, and right in line with my way of thinking. I use gridded battle boards (2' x 2'), cardboard markers to represent units, play abstract (i.e. don't care if an ancient army light infantry throws stone, slings, or javelins - it's all "light infantry"). I found (I think I did anyway) your Micro Battle Rules (Fire and Storm) and want to try them out.

    I noticed you referenced Kriegspiel. I never played this ruleset, however I accidentally found a gaming system based on it. It's called Pub Battles published by CommandPost. I found a set of the rules (again by accident) and played Napoleonic battles with it. It's really great and fits in with the Lazy Gamer theme I believe. If you haven't, check them out.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of PB before but never took the plunge. The price turned me off. Where did you find the rules?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumble on this "experimental" ruleset they put somewhere. I can't remember. I tried the rules, went to their website (search "Pub Battles" and you'll get there). I made my own blocks and drew my own maps. Crude but workable. The rules are fun and SIMPLE. worth a look. I can send you rules I had picked up. Email me at dalemunz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete