Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Short War

As in times past, Redgrave and Bluderia find themselves at war. This time Redgrave invades the Bluderian-occupied Duchy of Fenwick.

Inspired by the War of the Emperor's Balls (which I finished recently), I wanted to do a quick campaign. Furthermore, I wanted to see if I could complete one in a single sitting. I pulled out my microbattle rules and went at it.

Battle 1 - Farnsmworth
Redgravian forces march into the Duchy of Fenwick. Their first objective is the village of Farnsworth (upper left).

The defenders manage to wipe out one unit of attacking infantry.

But Redgrave wins the cavalry battle on the left and reinforcements drive into the village.

Battle 2 - Goldcrest Ridge
Redgrave continues to march into Fenwick. Bluderia sets up an ambush at Goldcrest Ridge.

Led by cavalry supported by artillery, the Bluderians drive back the invaders.

And then rout them.

Battle 3 - Feldman's Farm
The Bluderians pursue and the two armies clash at a nearby famr.

The Redgravians counterattack.


Despite severe casualties, the Redgravians break the Bluderian right.

Destroying all but the Bluderian artillery. With no support, the artillery must flee the field.

Thus the war ends with a Redgravian victory (victory in 2 out of 3 battles).

NOTES

  • Using my microbattle rules, I was able to play 3 battles in about 1.5 hours. Not bad.
  • I still have some ideas for streamlining the rules (largely based on Simplicity in Hexes). Will need to do some more experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment