Saturday, January 4, 2020

Skirmish in Space

I've been toying around with some sci-fi skirmish rules. Speaking of toys, I picked up some wood playing pieces and painted them to represent sci-fi soldiers.

I am running experiments using my heroes from prior skirmishes, Kate and Kip.

Skirmish 1
Kip and Kate (blue figs, L to R) are exploring an unknown planet when they run into an Imperial patrol. Laser fire ensues.

Kip rushes forward to smash the enemy with his power fist. Kate is wounded and retreats.

Kip knocks out his adversary but is shot from a flanking Imp.

Heavily wounded, Kip and Kate retreat from the field.

Notes
The rules feature a 2d6 roll to attack. Hits require a further D6 roll to determine damage.
Overall, the rules seem OK. As with most 2D6 rules, hits were hard to make so there was a lot of ineffective shooting (Star Wars stormtrooper bad). I'll tweak the To Hit target number in future attempts.

As far as figures go, I placed an order for some of Khurasan's 6mm sci fi. I plan to base them individually.

Skirmish 2
Once again, Kate and Kip have been sent on a mission to an asteroid in the Zirconian system. They are tasked with destroying a communications array manned by 2 Dominion robots.
Notes: 

  • I randomly rolled the mission on this chart that I made up years ago. I rolled a 354 and then chose to fight robots because I had the figures.
  • The brown circle areas are craters that provide cover.


As they close on the array (top) a firefight breaks out. They damage one robot but Kate's rifle loses power.
Kate rolled a natural 2 on her shot. It not only missed but her rifle ran out of ammo. She had to spend a turn reloading.

Kip melees one of the robots. He is injured but knocks it out.

He then rushes the last robot, but Kate zaps it first.

Mission accomplished.

Notes
I reduced the base target number to hit (from 8 to 6) but modify it up it due to range, cover, and the target's Dodge skill. As a result, Kate and Kip scored hits more frequently, but their Dodge skills generally prevented them from being hit.

Once a hit occurs, I roll damage, which is modified down by armor. A modified roll of 0 or less does no damage. During this last experiment I had quite a few shots ricochet off the robot's medium armor (-2 mod).

Overall, the system worked well and I will continue to experiment with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment