Saturday, January 2, 2021

Which Dice? Part 2

 Earlier this year while experimenting with a home brew RPG system, I asked the question "which dice?"

At the time, I had switched from a D6 to a D10 to provide more granularity. I then pondered using the oft forgotten D12. Well, my experiment was a success; I quite liked the D12. I felt it had a number of advantages:

  • It provided more granularity - the odds could be modified in ~ 8% increments rather than ~ 17% increments
  • It rolls better than a D10 or D20
  • And it can also be used as a D2, D3, D4, and D6!
Now with MicroBattle, I have gone back to a D6 system. The advantage/disadvantage system seems to work fine with less granularity. Still, I keep pondering the D12. I have a system in mind, to wit:

Significant Disadvantage        11+ to succeed
Advantage                                9+
Neutral                                     7+
Advantage                               5+
Significant Advantage            3+

The odds are the same as with the D6, but it also gives me the option to provide minor boosts or banes. For example, a slight disadvantage would require a roll of 8+.

I'm still debating this in my head. I'm worried that it will needlessly complicate things. Nevertheless, don't be surprised to see me pull out the D12s in one of my experiments!

So, what are your thoughts? D6 or D12?

2 comments:

  1. D12 is an underrated die. I also very much like the D12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am late to comment but I love d6 - it is so useful and I have found that every time I go to more finer dice types (or 2d6) I end up complicating the mechanisms due to the finer control available.

    ReplyDelete