Saturday, January 15, 2022

Another Battle

I played another test battle of Blue vs. Red.

Set Up
I decided to play the Seize scenario, which requires both sides to capture something that is in the middle of the battlefield. I chose to make the objective a town comprised of some new buildings.

The Armies
  • Red - 1 cavalry, 3 heavy infantry
  • Blue - 2 light infantry (on the flanks), 2 heavy infantry
The Battle
The Red and Blue armies both approach the town of Keeno.

Red assaults Blue and pushes them back. Notice the new casualty markers. I designed them to look like trails of blood. The infantry in the town are sideways just so they would fit into the square.

Red's advance destroys a light and a heavy infantry unit.

Blue has lost 2 units so rolls for morale. It fails and must retreat. Victory for Red.


Terrain Experiments

During the battle, I experimented with some terrain. The town of Keeno was made of a couple of new buildings that I got from PicoArmor. Here are some more.

I still have quite a few I haven't painted.

I also played around with the woods. I have just been using a scouring pad. It worked great for 2mm, but the 3mm figures are a bit too tall in comparison, as you can see from this picture.


I had an idea for simple trunks. I cut out a piece of black foam. It is slightly smaller than the scouring pad.

Then I placed the scouring pad on the foam. It got a little off kilter in this photo.

The idea is to raise the "leaves" above the soldiers. Furthermore, the figures can stand under the eaves of the woods instead of standing on top. In practice, it was a bit fiddly. but that was because the tree tops were not attached to the trunks. I kept knocking the top off. I think I'll try gluing them together and seeing how it works.

And here is a test forest that I crafted after the game.

In addition to gluing the two parts together, I used light brown paint to mark tree trunks. I rather like the look and can't wait to try it out in a game.

2 comments:

  1. The end result for the woods looks great. I may attempt something similar in the future as my woods are very poor representations of the actual thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shaun. I am quite pleased with it. And it was quite simple.

    ReplyDelete