Saturday, September 17, 2022

I Played a Game!

After more than 6 weeks, I finally got around to recording a war game!

Last night I decided to give Mike Lambo's Battles of the English Civil War a try. I actually played a test game some weeks ago but didn't take photos and never got around to posting about it.

The Scenario
I played scenario # 1 from the book - Edgehill.
I played as Parliament, starting at the bottom with the Royalists at top.

The Battle
The initial set-up. One interesting feature is that the Royalist musketeers line up in a clump on the hill while the pikes are forward.

Indecisive cavalry clash on the left while artillery fire destroys a unit of Parliament's pikes.

Parliament wins the cavalry clash on the left while another begins on the right.

Parliamentarian musketry causes a unit to rout while cavalry on the wings are demoralized.

Both sides lose a unit.

Royalist pikes gang up and demoralize Parliamentarian cavalry on the left. On the right, Parliamentarian cavalry routs its counterpart but gets demoralized by musketry.

A rough turn for the Royalists as two more units rout.

Another Royalist unit routs while cavalry attacks the King's artillery.

But sundown saves the Royalist. At the end of the day, they still hold the hill so Parliament loses.

Game Notes
For the most part, the Royalist shot was useless. However, in one instance they forced the enemy cavalry to retreat. This may have delayed the cavalry enough to save the cannon.

I have some thoughts to share on BECW but will save them for another post.

2 comments:

  1. Did you play the game “as written” Kevin? Or did you tinker/tweak the rules? And, most importantly, will you play BECW again?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to play as written but I probably muffled some rules. I will play it again, but will probably play BMB more frequently.

    ReplyDelete