Saturday, June 11, 2016

Random Plots and Thoughts

I noticed that it has been a couple of weeks since my last post on this blog. I've been busy so I haven't had time for any miniature gaming. But I want to prove that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth so I want to share what's been going on hobby-wise.

Amtgard / Dagorhir
I've been pretty active with LARPing lately. My Amtgard freehold, Ember Shoals, has pretty much died off.
Coat of arms of Ember Shoals
But I've found another group, Caligo. They mostly play Dagorhir but have been experimenting with Amtgard. They're good people and I have enjoyed playing with them. What I really like about them is that they are very open to the RP aspect of the hobby instead of being "stick-jocks" who just want to spar, In fact, they are helping me set up a quest for a former member of Ember Shoals who is coming down for a visit. The quest will involve fighting goblins in a marsh, passing through a woods while opposed by walking trees, and then defeating a Green Man all in pursuit of a magical spear that will be needed to free Ember Shoals from the rule of the "Faedwyr" (essentially the Unseelie Court). Planning for the quest has consumed most of my free time over the past few weeks.

Four Against Darkness
Last weekend, my wife and I explored another dungeon using Four Against Darkness (the game report is over on my Tales of the Templars blog). Our sessions have inspired me to start a new project. I've been thinking about miniaturizing our game sessions - that is using miniatures for our games.

I prefer small scales so I am intrigued by the idea of a 6mm dungeon crawl. I found some a post on TMP that offered some guidance. Further research turned up some nice-looking figures by Perfect Six Miniatures.

The major problem with these is that our adventuring party is made up of anthropomorphic cats. I wonder if I could add ears and tails to the above figures to "catify" them.

I found that Splintered Light does a range of "leonines" in 15mm. These could work, although they appear more classical than medieval.

Lioness guards
Nevertheless, I can see figures that would work for our characters:

  • Cooper (our warrior) = lion chieftain
  • Thomasina (cleric) = lioness guard (perhaps modify the weapon to a mace)
  • Onyx (rogue) = panther assassin
  • Ollie (halfling) = lynx scout
  • Buster (elf) = cougar archer

My biggest issue with them, though, is that they aren't sold individually. I would need to buy multiple packs to get the figures I need.

Decisions. Decisions.

1 comment:

  1. I placed an order for the Perfect Six adventurers and some dungeon denizens. We'll see how they work once I get them from England.

    ReplyDelete