Thursday, July 5, 2018

Revolution Gone Awry

For a few years now, I've wanted to game a Revolutionary War scenario for the USA's Independence Day. I just never got past the planning stage because I could not decide what battle to do. This year I decided to do a fictitious battle in a fictitious invasion of my home state - Florida.

Just a little background. During the Revolution, Florida was a British colony (actually 2 - East and West Florida) with a heavy Tory population. Prior to the British capture of Savannah, the Patriots (or rebels if you prefer) staged a few unsuccessful attempts to conquer East Florida. The Spanish were more successful in West Florida, capturing Pensacola in 1781.

Now on to the fictitious part.

EAST FLORIDA - November 1777

Empowered by the Georgia legislature, Col. James Endicott has launched an invasion of East Florida in an effort to liberate the colony from Tory tyranny. As he advances towards St. Augustine, his artillery becomes mired in some swampy ground. He sends the bulk of his infantry forward to capture and hold a strategic hill.

Major Heyward, with 3 companies of regulars from the British garrison of St. Augustine and a company of Ranger, marches to meet Endicott's invasion force.

Two companies of regulars advance on the British right.

Company B of the Georgia militia drives the British back. In their excitement, the militiamen recklessly pursue.

And then get routed by a counterattack.

The sharpshooting of the Rangers force the militia off the hill. The Rangers gain a foothold.

But Company A holds firm.

A company of Continentals arrives and drives off the British right.

More British advance on the hill and stop the Continentals.

Finally driving them off.

A unit of Overmountain Men rush from the woods upon the rear of a British company,

But they are also routed.

With only one effective company and some artillery, Endicott realizes that he cannot retake the hill. He calls for a general retreat. Heyward is quite pleased with the day's work

Game Notes
  • Rather than work up a historical scenario, I used a random one from Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames. I rolled for scenario 29 - Shambolic Command. Sounds about right for the Patriots.
  • In this scenario, the blue side (Patriots) can only activate 2 units per turn while the red (British) can activate all 4. Because I like random activation, I modified the rules a bit. The Patriots can roll for 3 units per turn while the British can roll for all 4. In general, the less experienced Patriots need to roll 4+ while the British need 3+.
  • In a nod to American mythology, the Patriots shoot further. However, the British get a bonus in close combat.
  • As for rules, I used the same ad hoc rules as for my Waterloo scenario last month. I think I need to write them down.
  • I find that I rather enjoy playing quasi-historical battles in my home state (such as today's battle and this one). Now I'm thinking of extending this battle into a complete campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment