Saturday, August 4, 2018

Rules of Engagement

Now that I ordered some new miniatures, I need a set of rules for them. Over the past few days I have been perusing various fast-play big battle horse and musket rules.

From https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BattleofLongisland.jpg
In the past my H&M rules were a derivation of the Command & Colors series but I want to get away from those. So what am I looking for?
  1. Simple, intuitive mechanics without too much math
  2. Uses or can be adapted to a grid - I'll be using an 8x10 gridded battlemat
  3. 1 unit = 1 stand - I don't want to deal with stand removal
  4. Minimal record-keeping - I don't mind using markers but I don't want to track a large number of hits per unit. I'm thinking of 2 hits per unit.
  5. For horse & musket but potentially adaptable to ancients/medieval - I like using the same framework across eras
  6. Free or not too expensive - I don't want to spend too much (preferably under $10)
  7. Available in PDF - I prefer my rules in PDF form
  8. Roll multiple dice but not too many
  9. Designed for solo play
I've been searching on Wargames Vault, Free Wargames Rules, TMP, Google, etc. What have I found?

One Hour Wargames - I have the book already. However, the combat system violated requirement # 4 as each unit can take 15 hits.

Simplicity in Practice - Another Neil Thomas set. Found a copy and read through it. I found the combat system to be a bit fiddly. First you rolled a number of dice; the number to score a hit varied depending on type of unit. Then you rolled saves if the target is in cover. Finally, you roll one more time to determine if the target gains a demoralization point; the necessary roll depends on the number of hits. I don't mind a roll to hit followed by a save, but this system was too much. Simplicity in practice it wasn't.

DBA/HoTT - A definite possibility, but I go back and forth on the opposed die roll mechanic. Sometimes it feels like it violates requirement # 1 (I have to divide?!). For now, I am looking for something different.

Portable Wargames - I've dabbled with them before but haven't given them a full trial. I need to revisit them. I am concerned that reducing hits to 2 (from 4) will harm the game.

I'm increasingly of the mind that I will end up writing my own rules. However, I like perusing other rules for ideas. I'll keep this blog posted with my research.

3 comments:

  1. I almost always develop my own rules ... I usually start from some mechanic or idea I really want to see in the rules, then build everything around that. And I only add things which I think are really necessary, then add some more during the first few games. Thus, things which my playing group don;t think should be in the rules, do not get added in. That way, you get a really slick design, without too many whistles and bells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am leaning towards doing just that. As a solo gamer, I only have to worry about pleasing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a few One Hour Wargame variants that have reduced the tracking of hits to 6 or less. The Stronghold Rebuilt blog has some of these variants along with Numbers, Wargames and Arsing About blog. Although writing your own rules provide the most enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete