Saturday, September 1, 2018

Tweenwater War - Assault on Blancport

The Final Battle of the Tweenwater War Eastern Front

Due to the failure of the Imperial navy to maintain the blockade on Blancport, General Whittelspoon has no choice but to assault the city. He unleashes an artillery bombardment intended to destroy the city walls. The guns breach the wall and Whittelspoon sends in his troops.

Grenadiers lead the way, clearing out the breach. Redgravian reinforcements rush in from the east (top).

The Imperial Grenadiers engage enemy infantry supported by artillery. General Spengler himself leads a unit of infantry toward the breach, which is guarded by some Imperial riflemen.

Battles rage while Redgravian cavalry seeks to flank the grenadiers.

The cavalry flank attack repulses the Grenadiers. More reinforcement arrive from the west (bottom)

One unit of Imperial infantry routs back through the crossing.

Sustained Redgravian counterattacks on all fronts rout three more Imperial units.

Whittelspoon's assault has failed. Unable to sustain the siege, he withdraws. Blancport remains in Redgravian hands!

Game Notes
  • I modified scenario #5 - Bridgehead from Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames. The original scenario involves a river crossing. I changed the bridge to a breach in the city walls. Otherwise, the scenario remained unchanged.
  • Technically, the Redgravians hadn't secured victory per Thomas's scenario objectives (the Empire still had 2 functioning units) but I called it because the Empire was wildly outnumbered and I doubt they would be able to force the breach.
  • This battle closes out my eastern Tweenwater War campaign. The Empire had claimed a 2-1 advantage but were defeated in the last 2 battles. Thus, Redgrave emerges with a 3-2 battles victory.
  • I finally received my copy of Twilight of the Sun King from the Pike & Shot Society, however I have kind of lost interest in them. Instead, I used my incredibly stripped down version from a few weeks ago. The rules play OK, albeit a bit bloody. Not really an issue from my perspective but it could affect the use of the OHW scenarios.
  • This marked the first outing of my new 2mm armies. I was concerned that they would look odd in conjunction with hand-drawn terrain, however I did not notice the disparity while I played.
In other news, we tried to play Dead of Winter last weekend but had to end the game prematurely.

No comments:

Post a Comment