Saturday, November 23, 2019

Relic Bearer

After making away with the sacred relic of St. Ukkert, the invading band of goblins, reinforced with orcs, tries to escape to the mountains. However, a company of King's troopers intercepts them.

The goblins (in black, on the right) need to cross a river to escape. The King's men are blocking the bridge across.

A band of goblin scouts (upper right) cross a ford and engage the militia spearmen.

The militia drive the scouts back across the river. Meanwhile, a lance of Guards takes a stand on the bridge. The Guards are attacked by 2 goblin bands.

The Guards wipe out one of the goblin bands. To their surprise, they find that the band was carrying the stolen relic.

The goblins counterattack, inflicting serious casualties on the Guards.

The Guards retreat. The militia and rangers cover their retreat.

One militia lance is scattered by the arrows of the goblin scouts.

The rangers destroy a goblin warband but the remaining militia is eliminated by the orcs. The Guards take refuge on a hill.

The rangers are destroyed.

The orcs assault the Guards on the hill.

But the Guards destroy them.

Goblin scouts set up to pepper the Guards with bow shot. The Guards charge down the hill and scatter them.

At this point, the last band of goblin scouts flees from the field. The sacred relic has been rescued!

Notes
  • This game was based on the Ringbearer scenario in Dragon Rampant. That scenario, however, ends when the ring bearer unit is destroyed. In my test, I decided to make the ring (relic) bearer to be random. I rolled a D6 when a goblin unit was destroyed with a 6 indicating that it had the relic. Well, I managed to roll a 6 on the first unit. Game over. So I decided to play out the rescue, with the Guards trying to escape with the relic. This turned into a rather tense affair as the goblins/orcs mercilessly swarmed the Guards. Fortunately, I had given the Guards an extra hit point (elite status and all), allowing them to (barely) survive the encounter.
  • This is my latest test of my "paladin" rules
    • Once again I enjoyed the game, with it being a tight affair.
    • Still, there are opportunities for improvement. For example, units are assigned a level from 1 to 5, indicating their experience and toughness. When 2 units are in combat, the difference in level is a modifier to the attack roll. Well this turned out a bit fiddly, as I did not remember the levels off-hand and had to consult a roster then do the math. I'm thinking about streamlining it to give the unit with an advantage a 1 or 2 point bonus. I can eyeball this in a flash without having to look something up.
    • I also want to modify my retreat rules. Whenever a unit took a hit, I rolled to see if it retreated. However, the odds of a retreat were extremely high. Ironically, automatic retreats probably saved the Guards, as they were forced to retreat in the first of multiple attacks. This prevented the later attacks from occurring. I want to increase the odds of a unit standing to fight. I am also thinking of performing all attacks before testing for retreat. Or if a unit is about to be meleed and is forced to retreat by missile fire, then the meleeing unit pursues.

No comments:

Post a Comment