Saturday, December 28, 2019

New Project - 15 Sci Fi Skirmish / RPG

Watching the Mandalorian has whet my appetite for some sci-fi skirmish / light RPG action. I have just decided to embark on a project.

The Miniatures
When I did my fantasy RPG project I ultimately settled on 10mm.

I would have liked to use the same scale for my sci-fi project, but I could not find figures that I liked. 10mm and 6mm miniature lines seem focused on battles (heavy infantry a la Space Marines and armor). I need more RPG-y stuff.

I've always liked the retro sci-fi vibe of Hydra Miniatures' stuff, but I don't like the size (32mm).

I thought about using paper minis. I already purchased a bunch from Wargame Vault. I used them for some virtual skirmish games a few years ago but never printed any out.

Yet I prefer metal over paper so I looked into 15mm. I found some good candidates from Alternative Armies's Laserburn line.

It helps that I already have some 15mm sci-fi figures.

Rules
My vision is to run more RPG-like encounters, akin to my Kate and Kip adventures. I want a party of 2 heroes who are members of the Space Patrol and who battle bad guys across the galaxy. I was having trouble coming up with ideas for adventure plots so I did some searching. I found some simple adventures under the Hero Kids line. (Hero Kids is a light RPG, for kids naturally).

What rules to use? I looked into Hero Kids before but dismissed it because it uses a dice pool mechanic. I'm no longer fond of dice pools and would prefer something different. I may use Everywhen RPG, which uses a 2D6 mechanic.

Another candidate, albeit using a dice pool, is Tiny Frontiers. I like it because it seems very easy to set up encounters.

Anyway, stay tuned for more ponderings on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment