Saturday, October 17, 2020

Illustrating RPGing

 One thing I've struggled with on my blogs is how to illustrate my role playing games. I've tried a number of methods:

I tried miniatures in different scales.

25mm

10mm

But these did not work out because I did not have figures for all the different monsters

I tried virtual

But it was a bit of work to create.

Eventually, I would just write up the report and find a picture or two from the internet

But that ended up being a wall of text.

Lately I've been pondering a different approach - 2D. The concept is similar to that used by the video game Darkest Dungeon. Show the heroes and monsters in a two dimensional manner.

To that end, I have begun a collection of monster tokens. I purchased a Pathfinder Bestiary Pawn Box, which includes over 300 2D monster tokens.

Sample tokens on a flat surface

They are intended to be placed in holders and used like miniatures, but my plan is to create a dungeon wall background and lie them flat on it.

I just need some heroes. Pathfinder had a nice set of NPCs, but it is out of print. I did pick up a PDF version. There is a new PC set coming out in December. Time to save up.

By the way, my cat who likes to game,
Trying to roll the dice

absolutely LOVES the Pawn box

1 comment:

  1. Good to see someone else struggles but I never even get as far as you!. I mean to take photos with minis but can't find the time for the effort. Mean to take some pictures and maybe do comic style (which is more forgiving) but can't be bothered. Mean to use internet pictures. But can't be bothered.

    I end up with a wall of text!

    ReplyDelete