Saturday, January 23, 2021

MicroBattle - 2021 Version

 On my post about determining hits in RPGs, Dale asked for my MicroBattle rules. There is an earlier version from 2020 on my blog, but here is my latest incarnation.

Core Concepts

  • I call the rules MicroBattle because they were initially designed to play wargames using small armies of small miniatures in a small space. I use armies of 4 - 6 units made up of 3mm miniatures on fields under 12 inches square. I imagine the rules could be scaled up. 
  • MicroBattle is designed to be played on a gridded battlefield. I use a grid of 8 by 10 squares.
  • The core mechanic is called the Resolution Test (hereafter called the Res Test or simply Test). Res Tests always work the same.
    • Roll a D6. A roll of 4 or greater is a success
    • The roll is modified if the testing unit has an advantage or disadvantage.
      • Add 1 for an advantage or 2 for a significant advantage
      • Subtract 1 for a disadvantage or 2 for a significant disadvantage
Note - I don't keep a strict list of advantages / disadvantages. I tend to just eyeball the situation and make a ruling. This keeps the game flowing, but that's because I play solo so I don't argue over my interpretation. If you play with an opponent, you may want to develop a list of advantages / disadvantages

Battle Rules
I have adapted the same general framework for massed battles, skirmishes, and RPGs. Here are the massed battle rules.

Unit Types
MicroBattle is designed as a rules framework that will allow wargames set in practically any era. I've played games spanning from ancient Greece to World War II. Therefore, you will see references to many different types of units. The list is not exhaustive, however. Feel free to add your own.
  • In general, units can be classified as Infantry (foot soldiers), Cavalry (horse soldiers), Artillery (soldiers with big guns), and Armor (tanks). There may be specialized versions of each.
  • Note that only 1 unit is allowed in any space at any one time
Turn Sequence
Each turn of the game follows this sequence
  1. Initiative
  2. Side A (side that won initiative) Acts
    • Activation (optional)
    • Movement
    • Combat
    • Rally (optional)
    • Opponent checks Morale
  3. Side B Acts - same sequence as Side A
Initiative
  • Roll a D6 for each side. You may add or subtract 1 from the roll for exceptionally good or bad generals
  • High roll goes first
Activation (optional)
  • Each unit must make a Res Test to act during the turn
    • Advantages - fresh troops, veteran or elite, in defensive works, etc.
    • Disadvantages - damaged troops, poor quality, etc.
Note - I like activation rules because they add fog of war. They may be a bit much when combined with variable movement so I don't always use this rule.

Movement
  • Infantry, artillery, and heavy armor can move D2 spaces (roll a D6 - 1-3 counts as 1 and 4-6 as 2). Others move D3 spaces (1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3)
  • If a unit enters rough terrain (e.g. woods), it must stop its movement
  • (OPTIONAL) A heavy unit (like armor) trying to move out of rough terrain must pass a Res Test
Combat
During its turn, a unit may attack an enemy if eligible
  • A unit may be prevented from attacking due to movement
    • Artillery and Heavy Weapons (machine guns) cannot move and attack in the same turn
    • Most Infantry cannot attack if they move more than 1 space. Skirmishers and armor may move more and attack
    • Most units cannot attack if they move into rough terrain. Skirmishers may still attack
  • A unit must be in range to attack. Ranges are:
    • Melee units - 1 space
    • Bows or muskets - 2 spaces
    • Rifles, armor - 3 spaces
    • Early artillery - 4 spaces
    • Modern artillery - 6 spaces
Note - I often fiddle with ranges. In medieval games, for example, I often bump up the bow range to 3 spaces. Feel free to play around with ranges until it feels right to you

If the unit is eligible, it may attack
  • Pass a Res Test to hit the enemy
  • Modify the roll due to unit traits (see below) or range (disadvantage at long range)
Unit traits - refer to the table to determine if a unit has an advantage or disadvantage while attacking or defending

Action

Advantage

Disadvantage

Attack

Warband, Knights, Heavy Weapons, AFVs

Skirmishers, Modern Cavalry

Defense

Heavy Infantry, Grenadiers,

Heavy AFVs

Rabble


A unit that is "hit" then makes 2 Res Tests to defend against the attack.
  • Defense Test - a success negates the hit, otherwise record the damage (I use markers)
    • Units that take 2 hits rout (they are removed from play)
  • Retreat Test - the unit must move back 1 space if it fails
  • Modify both tests due to unit traits, cover (advantage), flank or rear attacks (disadvantage)
  • If the defending unit is removed from play or retreats, an adjacent attacking unit may move into the vacated space. Cavalry or armor may then make a second attack
Rally (optional)
  • An army is limited to 1 rally attempt per turn. A selected unit from the army may attempt to rally as its action for the turn. 
  • Make a Res Test to remove 1 damage marker
  • The unit cannot take any other actions, such as moving or combat
  • The unit may not be in close combat (have an enemy unit adjacent to it)
 Morale
  • When an army has lost 50% of its army, immediately make a morale Res Test. 
  • Failure means that the army abandons the field. The game is over.
Luck
This is a neat little rule that I swiped from the Wargames Mechanics blog.
  • At the beginning of the game, one side is designated as "lucky"
  • The "lucky" side may reroll a Res Test at any time
  • Once a reroll occurs, the "lucky" characteristic passes to the other side
That's All Folks
That's all I have written for MicroBattle. The rules are bare bones but that's all I need for playing solo. I tend to make rules interpretations on the fly, and then don't always bother to write them down.

For my next post, I will explain how I set up scenarios and campaigns.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kevin,

    Thanks for posting. AS with the previous version, very easy to see how it can be applied across many genres and scales. Oh, and I am with you - with variable activation I am not fond of variable movement as well. The Res Test (4+ +/- advantages/disadvantages) really shines when used consistently across all mechanisms in the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried all kinds of unit activation rules both simple and complicated. Most of the time the old D6 for initiative then move all units seems to keep the game going ad there is still some fog of war element there. For ancients, I rely on the DBA PIP's activation mechanism. No matter what else I try, I cannot find anything better. So I stopped looking. For larger battles, usually Napoleonic or any horse and musket period, there is one mechanism which I occasionally use when I am ready for some real heart-pounding action. It is Bob Cordery's card-sequence activation system described in The Portable Colonial Wargame. It's like a very rich dessert. Too much and you get tired of it. But the occasional thrill is worth it. I won't describe it now, but if interested, just ask and I'll give a quick description. Also, whenever I've played Neil Thomas' rules, I tried to use different activation schemes, but have not improved on the rules. They are great just as they are.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. re rally rules. I've tried quite a few, and finally just left them out. I want the action of a battle, fast and furious, and when it's over it's over. Next day (in wargame time) another battle. Rally attempts often just slow things down and in the end I can't think of a time when it made a bit of difference. Reinforcements, if you use them, may be a better way to keep a battle going. I think of Gettysburg. As big a battle as it was, and with as many forces as were in combat, it was still only 3 days. Keep the action going, good or bad.

    ReplyDelete