Saturday, January 9, 2021

Trouble at Threshold Station

 A Kate and Kip Adventure

One of 2021 plans is to settle on a single set of characters for my RPGs so I decided to start the year by introducing some new (actually returning) characters.

Actually, I realized that I need a single set of characters per genre. So I will be paring back my fantasy characters. But recently I decided to run a sci fi adventure, bringing back some characters that featured in a number of skirmishes here and on my old RPG blog.

I went with sci fi because I've had this one adventure downloaded onto my tablet for months. I finally resolved to complete it. It is called Trouble at Threshold Station, an adventure in the Hero Kids RPG line. I converted the adventure to my MicroBattle Quest rules.

On Kate and Kip

Because my heroes were featured in skirmishes, I do not have them statted out for an RPG. I jotted down a quick byline for each one. I rolled randomly to determine their traits but assumed they were level 3 because of their many prior adventures.

Kate - experienced (i.e. Level 3), intelligent scientist

Kip - experienced, charismatic scout

Kate and Kip had been recruited by the Federation's Ranger service, a branch of agents that work covertly against Imperial machinations in the Fringe Worlds that separate the Federation and Empire.

Troubled at Threshold Station

Our heroes have been tasked to sell some spare parts to a travelling merchant. They are hoping to recruit him as a contact. They plan to meet him at Threshold Station.

Into Orbit!

As they approach the station, a warning klaxon goes off. Kip checks the scanners.

"Approaching meteor shower! Kate, get to the turret and blast any that I cannot evade!"

As Kate rushes to her position, Kip threads a path through the first wave of meteors. Manning the turret, Kate blasts a path through the next wave. Kip then jerks the ship aside to avoid a meteor, but they find themselves in the path of one more. It is heading right at them! Kate squeezes the trigger. The lasers blast into the meteor at point-blank range, smashing it into smithereens. The path to the station is open.

Negotiations

Once they arrive, they meet with the merchant, named Parthi. Because his experience as a scout helped develop his fast-talking skills, Kip conducts the negotiations. He asks for 300 credits for the parts, but Parthi scoffs.

"300 for those? I wouldn't pay more than 100!" Kip talks him up to 150 but then Parthi refuses to budge. Alas, Kip has orders not to accept anything less than 200.

Kip turns to Kate. "I told you we wouldn't find a likely seller here. Let's try elsewhere."

"Hold on," Parthi responds. "I may have been hasty." He then peruses the parts and agrees to 200. Kip tries to get more but Parthi won't budge. They finally agree to 200.

Bay Zero-Three

Kate and Kip deliver the goods to Parthi's cargo ship. Once they load the boxes into the ship, a group of armed aliens enter the docking bay. They point their weapons at the trio.

The leader demands "We'll take those parts, and your credits!"

Parthi rushes in fear up the boarding ramp. The leader and some of his minions follow into the ship.

The remaining aliens begin shooting, wounding Kate. The heroes leap behind some crates.

With a quick salvo, Kip blasts down 2 of the raiders. The enemy returns fire, striking Kip. Fortunately, he has some light armor under his space suit, which absorbs the laser blast.

While the raiders focus on Kip, Kate creeps into position then opens up on the enemy. Three more go down, and the remaining raider flees.

Cargo Showdown

Suddenly, the heroes hear a cry of alarm from Parthi's cargo ship. They rush up the ramp, but are met by a fusillade of laser fire. Kate collapses to the ground with a bad wound. Kip provides covering fire while she uses a stimpack to heal herself. His shots take down one of the raiders.

They hear another cry, then the ship's engines begin to start up.

"We need to get to the cockpit before the ship takes off!" Kate yells.

"OK, follow me!" Kip replies.

He rushes into the ship, blasting away with his pistol. He shoots one of the raiders while the other dives for cover. Kate follows as Kip rushes down a corridor to the cockpit.

The raider in the hold pops up and begins shooting at the backs of the heroes. Kate turns and blasts him. The raider leader leans out of the cockpit and shoots, wounding Kip. But Kip keeps rushing forward.

"Get this ship outta here!" the raider leader screams at the pilot. The hatch closes and the ship begins to rise.

Kip leaps into the cockpit, knocking the blaster from the leader's hands. Parthi is at the controls as the leader continues to yell at him to fly. Kip and the leader begin struggling. Kate squeezes into the cockpit and smashes the leader in the face. He lashes out with an elbow, connecting with Kate. She staggers against the bulwark while Kip continues to grapple the alien.

The leader knocks Kip to the ground then grabs his blaster. He aims it at Kip and snarls in victory. And then he slumps to the ground. Kip then sees Kate standing above the enemy, a wrench in her hands.

Conclusion

Parthi thanks them profusely for their assistance, and as a reward he agrees to pay full price.

"And if you ever need anything, let me know!"

"Don't worry, we will." Kip responds.

Rules Notes

I experimented with one tweak to the MicroBattle Quest rules. As noted in previous ponderings, I've become quite enamored of the D12, so I converted to this die. I wish I could say it was a rousing success, however D6 worked better. The way the system currently works, each advantage or disadvantage is worth 1 point on the die for D6 but 2 for a D12. It just felt far more intuitive adding and subtracting 1 so I felt the D6 worked better. I haven't given up though; I may tweak the a/d's to better fit a D12.

5 comments:

  1. I can understand the attraction of d12 - it is so versatile - but I still think my previous comment of d6 is my preference on the way to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably correct for my current design. Using D12s would likely require more granularity in armor and monster levels. But then I would be adding complexity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge d12 fan as well, just for the feel of it, but like you two I’ve found the d6 (or a couple) is plenty for the type of solo game I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are unaware Chris McDowall ("Electric Bastionland", "Into the Odd", etc.) has been tinkering with a solo d12 system on their blog: https://www.bastionland.com/2020/12/ask-stars-minimal-solo-rpg.html

    It is just the beginnings of something but maybe it gives you some ideas/encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat, will have to look into it

    ReplyDelete