Sunday, May 9, 2021

The Excel Hippodrome

Sometimes I feel like experimenting with a game but don't want to dig out my stuff. In some such cases, I go virtual, as I did last week on my chariot racing kick.

Here is my virtual board in Excel. The board is on the left with the track on the lower right. I added a virtual dice roller (upper right). The colored D's are disadvantage markers. I got the chariot markers from Junior General.


Above is a shot of a race I ran. Blue and Green had already wrecked. Yellow and Red were neck-and-neck as they rounded the last corner. Yellow lost control and crashed, giving Red the win.

The race was part of a mini-campaign. I ran 7 races (all just 1 lap as I'm still working on the system). The teams earned denarii based on their standing in the race - 20 for first, 10 for second, and 5 for third. No denarii for last or for wrecking!

Green jumped out to an early lead in the campaign, with two victories in the first two races. Yellow then went on a hot streak followed by a Blue victory. Meanwhile, Red was slowly building up his earnings with a series of second place finishes. After five races, he and Green were tied, with Yellow only 5 denarii behind and Blue only 10 behind Yellow.

From then on, it was all Red. He handily won the last two races for a dominating season victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment