Monday, December 27, 2021

Inspiration from Sellswords and Spellslingers

I have been intrigued by a recent post on Lead Adventure forum that compared Ganesha Games' Sellswords and Spellslingers (S&S) to Rangers of Shadow Deep.


I have Rangers although I never played the rules. Nevertheless, I really like the background and scenarios, and have adapted them to my own RPG rules.

I've heard of S&S before but refrained from picking it up because (a) it uses D20s and (b) it uses cards. I have an aversion to both of these traits. Yet some of the comments on LAF about its solo suitability piqued my interest. I decided to get it and see.

After reading through it, I won't be playing it as is. Instead, like many games, I'll convert it to my MicroBattle rules. However, there are some aspects about its solo mechanism that I like and will look to incorporate.
  • I like that you never roll activations for the NPC bad guys. Instead, failed activation rolls for your troops translate to possible enemy activations, depending on the card draw. This seems like a streamlined way to handle enemies. I may ditch the cards and create an enemy activation table instead, but I like the general concept.
  • Enemies don't roll in melee. Instead, you roll for your figures. If they miss, the enemy hits instead. Again, super streamlined. I'd like to experiment with it.
I've been dabbling with these mechanisms and will post about it soon.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kevin

    I have S&S and do mean to play it as I quite like what they have done. Although like you not fond of the d20. But I picked up the same thing from you - the opposition never activate - they respond to you actions, and if you miss they hit automatically. I have been incorporating these into my own rules with varying success. I think I have still not nailed it. But I think you may have a better chance with adjusting Micro Battles to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun. I've been experimenting with mixed success. I'll post about it in a week or so.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Kevin. I was wondering if you've made any other adjustments to your Microbattle/Microquest system? I think the last one I saw was about your character sheet template. Always enjoy reading about the evolution of your solo system as it a great source for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn. Happy New Year. I haven't done much with MicroBattle the last couple of months; I've been focused on my LARP hobby. But I have come back to experimenting with MicroBattle and will post more about it soon.

      Delete