Sunday, April 24, 2022

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Back in the day, I was quite the baseball fan, as evidenced by this post. As I mentioned even then, my interest has waned. Recently, however, it has sparked back to life.

The event that rekindled the flame was reading a book. For some reason, this was recommended on my Kindle.


I've been enjoying this walk through baseball history, which in turn has inspired me to try a little baseball gaming.

Back in the 80s I played quite a bit of Strat-o-matic, a baseball simulation dice game.
The current edition

I briefly toyed with picking up the new edition, putting together a small league, and playing a season. This did not get very far because of the price and the necessity to buy player cards for each season. Nowadays, I would prefer a game where I can make my own player stats.

You see, I spent a little time trying to decide what season to play. I really don't have any interest in modern baseball so the current edition of Strat-o-matic would be wasted on me. How about a season from my youth? But I could not decide on one. Then I came upon a solution - a replay of major league baseball from 100 years ago. Unfortunately, Strat-o-matic does not have cards for the 1922 season. This led me on a quest for a game that will allow me to recreate the 1922 season.

Right now, I'm investigating Deadball, a baseball simulator I purchased from Drivethrurpg.


Expect a quick review once I give it a go. And apologies to any non-Yanks out there. You'll likely be hearing a lot more about baseball in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment