Saturday, July 23, 2022

Getting Medieval

Battles of Medieval Britain
BoMB has become my go-to game when I want some quick gaming action. The only problem is that they are so quick and easy that I don't always take the time to photograph the games.

Anyway, here is a quick synopsis of my recent forays.

Hastings
I played this scenario twice and went 1-1. 

I played poorly in the first game but my archers, the lone survivors of the battle, managed to shoot down Harold. 

I actually played better in the second game but fell just short of killing Harold.

Battle of the Standard
It took me 3 tries to win. 

I came close in my second attempt, but my last ditch attack in the final turn failed. 

The third game started well; I eliminated 2 enemies on the second turn. But the English counterattack wiped out 3 of my units. Nevertheless, I rallied and killed the last of the English with 3 units and 2 turns to spare.

Lewes
My first attempt at Lewes was an unmitigated disaster. The rebels wiped me out after 4 turns.

Here is my second attempt. The rebels are blue.

The second turn was a disaster. The Royalists lost 3 units.

There was no recovering. One unit managed to survive until the end, but the rebels still held the field.

Chariots
Last year I experimented with chariot races to complement my Byzantine project. I purchased figures from Irregular but I did not like my attempts at painting them. As a result, the project languished.

Recently, when I began working up counters for my games, I created some for chariot races. I got the images from Junior General. They even have crashed chariots.


I ran a race to test them out. Above shows the finish. 
  • Green pulled away for the win. 
  • Blue was behind most of the race but managed to pull even with Red in the home stretch. But then Red bashed into Blue, causing him to crash!
  • Yellow fell behind, but he still came ahead of Blue.

7 comments:

  1. Kevin - Mike Lambo has just advised the next game/book to be published will be “Battles of the English Civil War, hopefully out in the next week or so. That one has hexes which are about an inch across and the units are cannons, cavalry, pikemen and musketeers”.
    I’ll be ordering a copy. I recently bought some painted 15mm figures (but suspect these may be too big for Mike’s game). I’ll have to see if my 2mm Irregular Miniatures will work…
    Regards,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good one; I'll definitely pick it up. My counters are 20mm wide and 15mm deep; 2mm should be able to fit on bases of that size.

      Delete
    2. Mike did mention that the pikes and the musketeers in the game are treat as separate elements, as this “ adds to the tactical play to try to protect musket units with pikemen from cavalry charges. Appreciate that is not entirely realistic but it seems to work well.”
      I’m looking forwards to it.
      Geoff 😉

      Delete
    3. Battles of the English Civil War is now available on Amazon (here in the UK anyway). I’ve just ordered a copy, which should be delivered on Thursday… Good stuff - I’m looking forward to it. 😆
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete
  2. For information - there’s already a post on the Facebook group “2mm and small scale wargaming” where Ian Steventon has games Battles of the ECW with 2mm Irregular Miniatures strips.
    And Mike Lambo has done a walk-through of the book on YouTube - it’s on my list to watch today…
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I received BECW on Thursday but only managed a quick glance at the rules. When I get around the finishing the rules and playing a game, I will post my impressions.

      Delete