Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Dragon of Icepire Peak Stinks

No, not the dragon itself. But the adventure is really bad.


I've been playing through this adventure solo and have found it extremely lackluster.

Now some of that has to do with soloing. For example, the Gnomengarde scenario involves a lot of diplomacy, which is not much fun for a solo game. Honestly, however, I would have been bored with it even if doing it with a group. I like combat, and there is very little.

But what set me off on this rant is the Logger's Camp quest. It seems logical enough. Deliver supplies to a logger's camp deep in a forest. But when I looked it over for just a few minutes, I realized...
IT'S JUST UTTERLY STUPID!
Let me count the ways.
  1. The adventure assumes that the party travels directly to the camp, through dense forest, instead of taking an easier route by skirting the forest.
  2. The party carries the supplies in an ox cart. Try getting that through a forest!
  3. But maybe there is a road or path through the forest? No!
  4. Why is the camp getting supplies from the little village of Phandalin when the city of Neverwinter is closer and is down river? Ship supplies by boat instead!
This just makes no sense!!!

3 comments:

  1. You seem to have hit a bit of a “bad patch” Kevin. Hopefully things will improve soon. 😉
    Common sense, sadly, is nowhere near as common as we would like to think… Surely someone must “play test” these games, making sure everything is logical, makes sense and hangs together as a whole. Clearly not.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad patch is not as bad as it sounds. I can fix the issues well enough. I just needed to rant a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good RANT every now and then is a good thing. For me, it sort of “clears the air” and works to let off the pressure so things don’t boil over. 😎

    ReplyDelete