Thursday, December 28, 2023

Quickie Medieval

After trying out a quickie Napoleonic battle, I decided to do the same for medievals.

Battle 1
I recently have taken an interest in Slovak history. Inspired by this new interest, I set this battle in the area of Samo's Empire.

The warlord Samo tries to impose his will on a neighboring village. The chieftain Raduz defends.

I randomly determined the forces:
  • Samo (white) - 1 heavy infantry (with leader), 1 medium infantry, and 2 light infantry
  • Raduz (red) - 3 medium infantry and 1 light infantry
Here Samo approaches the village.

Samo's light infantry chases its counterpart out of the village but Raduz's medium chase the light away.
Meanwhile, Samo's heavies and mediums take a beating from enemy infantry.

Samo loses his medium infantry.

And a unit of light. Despite some success on his left, Samo must retreat.

GAME NOTES
I planned to do a follow-up battle but haven't got around to it yet.

I determined the forces randomly. I think Samo got the short end of the stick. No matter; I think I may give him some Frankish cavalry next time.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn’t the Franks be enemies of Samo? I suppose some might be hired as mercenaries. Samo would, of course, likely have some cavalry forces provided by his own nobles.
    I must admit I am rather fond of the Avars - but generally they wanted to subordinate others to do their bidding.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Samo was a Frankish merchant so I assume he had some muscle behind him. However, he may very well tackle the Franks if he can unite the Slavs.

      Delete