Saturday, February 13, 2016

Sneaky, Sneaky

I started another adventure with my sci-fi secret agents, Kate and Kip. You can find the report on my Tales of the Templars blog. Here is the link: Part 1 - Sneak Attack!

Here is a preview
Imperial soldiers block their exit.
How will Kate and Kip escape?
And a few notes:

The Adventure
I rolled on my random adventure table (shown here) and got a 613 - Escape from a Spaceship while opposed by Invaders (additional roll resulted in Imperials). For narrative purposes, I decided to change spaceship to a space station.

I then rolled randomly on the tables below to determine how long the adventure would last.

Board 1: 1-5 = continue to next board; 6 = complete
Board 2: 1-3 = continue to next board; 4-6 = complete
An adventure will never go beyond board 3.

In this case, I rolled a 3 for board 1, so the adventure would continue. I actually rolled a 5 for board 2 but decided to add a third board as an experiment (which I will describe in a later post)

Given the scenario, it seemed logical for the heroes to try to reach their ship at the docking bay. I then decided to set board 1 as a series of corridors with board 2 as the docking bay itself. I also wanted to experiment with ship vs. ship rules, so that became board 3.

Stealth
I designed part 1 primarily as a means to experiment with stealth rules. The twisting corridors gave the heroes a chance to sneak up upon the enemy. When moving, a hero rolled a number of D6s equal to their Stealth rating. Any enemy within 4 spaces would then roll D6s equal to their Defense. Successful Defense rolls negated successful Stealth rolls. If there are any successful Stealth rolls remaining then the enemy does not notice the hero. The enemy gets bonuses to Defense if the heroes are in direct line of sight (because of this rule, it is crucial to know the enemies' facings; the blue triangles indicate this). The heroes can improve their odds (by reducing the number of Defense dice) by moving less than their full movement allowance for the turn. Until heroes are detected, the enemy will move randomly.

Spoilers! You may want to read the game report first
I gave Kate and Kip 3 Stealth dice (equal to their Attack dice). Because the soldiers had only 1 Defense die, the heroes had a decided advantage. Combined with the rule that allowed a sneak attack with a successful sneak, the soldiers never knew what hit them. Actually, the first soldier did detect Kate but Kip sneak attacked him. I arbitrarily ruled that he the attack would occur before he could sound the alarm. Kip took him out so the heroes remained unnoticed.

Despite the unbalanced nature of this scenario, I feel that the rules worked. To make things more interesting, I may reduce Kate and Kip's Stealth dice to 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment