Thanks to my vacation, and the practicality of my virtual games, I have already played out a couple of scenarios of this campaign.
The Federation has launched an air raid on the planet Frigidair. First, Federation fighters must clear out the enemy interceptors.
- I played the game on an offset square grid. Offset squares work like hexes (each space has 6 adjoining spaces).
- For movement, I used the template I created for dogfights.
- Each turn, I plotted my fighters' movement. Then I rolled randomly for enemy movement (D3 for distance. Then I selected plausible maneuvers and choose one randomly).
- I then rolled initiative for combat order.
- I used the base mechanics from my skirmish games for combat. Each craft was assigned Attack/Defense/Hit ratings. The Federation were better because they had stronger craft and better pilots.
- Federation fighters were 3/2/3
- The enemy interceptors were 2/1/2
- Range = 4 spaces
Once the interceptors were cleared, in came the bombers. They needed to destroy the control post (inside the cave on the right).
- Because maneuvering was not particularly important, I used different rules.
- Each bomber rolled a D3 for move distance. The randomness added suspense to the game (how long would it take for the bombers to reach a point where they could fire at the target? Would they make it there?)
- For each space moved, a bomber could turn 1 side. Turning did not play much of a role as the bombers pretty much headed straight to the target
- I then rolled initiative for combat
- Similar to the dogfight rules, I assigned Attack/Defend/Hits ratings to each craft/unit:
- Federation bombers = 2-3/2/3
- Bombers had an attack factor of 2 vs. AA (assuming light missiles)
- They attacked with 3 dice vs. the control post (assuming heavy torpedoes)
- AA guns = 3/3/2
- The control post = 0/2/3
- Bombers had a range of 4 while the AA guns could fire 6 spaces.
It's been a while since I played a space battle but that's next on the agenda, followed by a ground battle. If the Federation wins, then Kate and Kip will be released. If not, I'm going to run a rescue mission skirmish game.