Saturday, June 3, 2017

Slipping into the Stream

With Slipstream, a pulp sci-fi setting for the Savage Worlds RPG.


Even though I don't play Savage Worlds, I have had my eye on this game for some time. I really love the setting - it is akin to 1930s sci-fi serials like Flash Gordon. The setting is unabashedly pulpy, with rocketships and rayguns; lionmen, birdmen, robotmen, and other exotic alien races; dashing heroes and an evil queen threatening the universe. What's not to love?

I recently discovered that Drive Thru RPG has the PDF version on sale for $9.99. I took advantage and finally have a copy. It does not disappoint; I like Slipstream so much that I consider it an exception to the "your world sucks" rule and would run it pretty much as is.

But here is my quandary - how am I going to play this? I don't use Savage Worlds so I would need to convert it to another system. I would like to use Four Against Darkness but that will require some effort. Slipstream also features 10 adventures as part of Pinnacle's plot-point setting. However, the ones I read appear to be very linear. I do not know how they would lend themselves to solo adventuring.

I noticed one interesting line in the book: "Rocketships use the rules for aircraft . . ." So now I have visions of rocketship dogfights using the Spandau and Lewis rules.

Anyway, stay tuned as I dabble with this setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment