Sunday, July 16, 2017

Spandau in Space

One of the nice things about science fiction gaming is that you can easily encapsulate ideas from other periods. For example, I've always enjoyed the "dogfights in space" approach of Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, et. al where space fighters duke it out in a futuristic version of World War II air combat. Although it is admittedly unrealistic, it is great fun!

Anyway, I ginned up some crude rocket ships for my Slipstream project. I had a little time this morning so I decided to have a go at a dogfight. What rules did I use? Spandau and Lewis!

Three war rockets (red) of the evil queen Anathraxa are looking for renegade Theophilians (background for my campaign is on Tales of the Templars). They discover two Theophilian rockets.

Game Note: The Queen's rockets use the stats for the Fokker EIII while the Theophilians use DH-2s. The lead Theophilian is a veteran pilot while all others are experienced.

Battle is joined. Red Two takes a long range shot and hits, inflicting minor damage.

The Theophilians catch a Royal rocket in a crossfire. Critical hit! It explodes.

Blue One gets another rocket in his sights. He misses (throughout the game, Blue One rolled horribly for shooting).

Here is an initiative tracker that I whipped up. Crude but effective.

Blue One has another shot, and blows it again.

Blue Two gets into the action, inflicting heavy damage on one of the enemy rockets.

FINALLY, Blue One hits, finishing off the damaged enemy rocket.

The remaining Queen's rocket tries to escape. The Theophilians pursue.

Blue Two takes it out.

Virtue has triumphed over the forces of evil.

Game Evaluation
Despite re-skinning the pieces from World War I planes to rocket ships, the game worked. I also enjoy air combat games because they are so easy to set up.

Six by Six - Game 3-5 complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment