Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Summer Lull

Given that it's been 3 weeks since my last post, I'd have to say that the summer lull is in full swing. I started painting my latest 3mm project but that has stalled.

I have been busy, however. Two things in particular have been commanding my attention.

LARP
A few months ago I mentioned that I was preparing for a new LARP. The concept was to take my regular Amtgard group through an immersive adventure. I even wrote new rules to streamline the game. People had fun but most were not interested in a repeat. By and large they prefer being stick jocks whereas I wanted something more flurby.

But not all is lost. A few people, including my wife, were interested in a real roleplaying LARP. We decided to reboot the campaign with a smaller group. Essentially it's like playing D&D but with acting out our actions rather than just describing them. I had to spend some time preparing the new backstory and developing quests. Last weekend we had our last adventure, which I describe on my LARP blog.

The group was quite pleased with the adventure and we can't wait for the next one (got to spend some time prepping for it). In the interim, we are looking to up our game. For example, we've been using Amtgard swords, which are essentially pool noodles on a stick. I purchased some weapons for my wife's character.


They are actually foam replicas. The cat is not a weapon.

Cross
I have also been spending a lot of free time working on a volunteer project for Cross International.
A friend works there. She asked me for Excel help (after 30 years or so of using Excel I'm pretty good at it). Well, that project has turned out to be more extensive than expected.

As a result of the above 2 projects, I have not had any time for wargaming. Hopefully the long July 4th weekend (I have that Thursday and Friday off) will give me a chance to play a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment