Saturday, October 26, 2019

The End of an Era

Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Ignore TMP

I had been a long-time visitor to TMP, aka The Miniatures Page, a forum for miniature wargaming. I think I first logged on in 2001 or 2002 and since then I have regularly accessed its pages. Well no longer. I have managed to get myself locked out. All for the rather lame offense of ignoring its editor.

TMP has an ignore feature that allows you to hide topics created from a specific user. Recently the editor of TMP has been posting a lot, mostly stuff that I do not find interesting. When he posted a rant against a former advertiser I got fed up and hit the ignore button. I wasn't sure what would happen. There is also a stifle feature (which hides all posts from the stifled user) and stifling the editor will cause a lockout. I wasn't sure if ignore would do the same - apparently it does.

I now find myself locked out of TMP. I tried un-ignoring the editor to no avail. I guess I need to e-mail and plead my case. But I shouldn't have to. I am involved in web tool design and know a little about UX (user experience) design. I have to say that this lockout is an example of a horrible user experience. The editor is forcing me to see his posts if I want to interact with the community (and there are still many good posters on TMP). I should have the option to see and not see exactly what I want. And I should not have to go begging to get my account restored. It should be automatic. I am so annoyed that I have given up on TMP.

Fortunately, I have found a better alternative. I have been frequenting the Wargames Website and find it a much more congenial site. The users are polite and the moderation sensible. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I quit TMP I think 2 years ago, also after an unpleasant experience. I never looked back, although sometimes a google search brings me back to the site. But I don't regret leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I will find the same to be true. In addition to the Wargames Website I have been getting my fix from Lead Adventure Forum. So far I like it far more than TMP.

    ReplyDelete