Saturday, March 7, 2020

My Evolving LARP Kit

Much like my gaming, my LARP career has suffered from sporadic outbreaks of GADD (Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder). As a result, my kit has been changing over time. I thought I'd share a few pictures.

~2008. I started LARPing several years prior but can't find any pictures. Here I wear a blue tunic with natural-colored pants that are way too loose. Rather ragged chain vest.

~2009. Same soft kit, but I upgraded my armor to some nice leather, and added a helmet. I was going for a Dark Age Arthurian era look.

~2011. Changed the tunic, removed the cheek plates from the helmet, and upgraded to a kite shield. The Chi Rho shield in the background was also mine but I lent it out for this event.

~2012. I then went for a fantasy paladin look. The armor is leather but designed to look like plate. Here are a couple of pics.


~ 2013. Here is a slap-together kit I made specifically for practice, so I could reduce wear and tear on my regular event kit. Really just a surcoat made from a bed-sheet over a long-sleeve shirt topped by a martial arts mask.

~2014. I then started playing Amtgard, but in those rules I was not eligible to play a paladin. I switched over to a ranger look.

~2019. I was never really satisfied as a ranger and started gravitating back to a paladin look. I picked up an aluminum hauberk although I am still wearing my ranger greaves. The hood was from my SCA days; it's not really authentic but keeps the sun off my head and neck. The tabard is borrowed.

2020. Now I am back to a full-blown paladin look, Here I am in a gambeson and cloak. Still have the ranger greaves.

2020. Here I am now, with a new set of armor (plastic). I really love the look, even though the armor does not fit perfectly. I need to add a cross to the shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment