Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Battle of Willichala

Introduction
Over the past week, I've been making a number of enhancements to my gaming set-up (see my prior post) and wanted to test them out. I had planned to do a replay of Apostrophe Hill but then I came across a game report about the Battle of Chillianwallah in the latest version of Miniatures Wargames magazine. I decided it would make an excellent basis for a game. Of course, I did not do a strict re-fight. Consider it more of a Hollywood style "inspired by true events."

Background
On the continent of Elzwehn, the colonizing kingdom of Styvuperleip is warring with the native land of Bajnup. General Gruff is leading the kingdom's forces in an advance into Bajnup. He runs into a defending army under Sheer Song.

Song's troops (red) form a line along a band of jungle. Gruff puts the King's Lancers on the right,  Volunteer Horse on the left, with an artillery battery and 3 regiments of infantry in between.

Initial bombardments. The Bajnup is famous for its heavy, well-crewed guns.

 The guns prove their worth when they rout a regiment of infantry.

The remaining infantry crashes into the enemy line while the Volunteer Horse rout some tribal cavalry.

The infantry and the King's Lancers drive back the enemy.

Infantry overruns the Bajnup guns in the center.

And then break the enemy infantry. Song's remaining forces flee the field.

Victory for the King!

Assessment
What do I think of my various experiments?
  • Without a doubt, this terrain (even though very simple) looks far nicer than the terrain drawn on a flip mat.
  • I do have concerns about the cork battlefield. I notice that it is shedding a bit from the edges where I cut it down. I plan to replace it with felt but it is not ready yet.
  • Another issue I have is with troops in the woods. I'm not fond of the look of them sitting on top of the woods. I'm just not sure what to do about it.
  • I love that I have everything I need in a single box. It makes set-up so easy.
  • The new MicroBattle rules seemed to work very well. I never had to look anything up; it was so easy to adjudicate on the fly. I even remembered to check for retreats!
  • On a whim, I borrowed some elements from Command & Colors (specifically overruns). I will need to add them to my MicroBattle rules document.

No comments:

Post a Comment