Saturday, October 30, 2021

Freedom for Firenzia

Introduction

On the independent planet of Firenzia, a pro-Imperial coup has ousted the democratic government. The Empire has surreptitiously sent in supplies and reinforcements to the new regime. The Federation is powerless to intervene.

But elements of the population have taken up arms against the oppressors. FREE FIRENZIA is their battle cry!

Background

I've been on vacation this past week. Actually it's a staycation so I had some time for some gaming. I don't have miniatures painted for my next RPG adventure so I decided to run a MicroBattle scenario. Initially I planned a Byzantine battle, but then I read this RPG Pub post. It got me interested in some freedom fighters vs. tyrannical government action. Now this background would work great as a skirmish game, but I don't have skirmish figures. I decided to go 3mm. I also decided to give it a futuristic spin in my sci fi universe.

Set Up

I decided to run a One Hour Wargame scenario. I randomly selected scenario 3 - control the river. 

The government forces (red) consist of 3 infantry companies, backed by 2 tanks and a self-propelled missile launcher.

The freedom fighters (blue) lack armor, but they have more infantry and a couple of artillery pieces (represented by horse & musket cannons; I don't have proper sci-fi artillery).

The Battle

Government forces (top) are advancing down the road to the rebel-held city of Eldridge. The rebels send their rag-tag troops to stop the advance.


Government forces reach the ford (signified by rocks) and bridge. The rebels begin shelling the advancing troops.

On the right, they manage to wipe out a company of government infantry.

Followed by one of the tanks (by the ford). However, another tank assaults rebel troops on the hill.

But it gets destroyed.

The rebels then push the government troops back across the river.

Victory for the forces of freedom!

I had some company while I played.

3 comments:

  1. A nice battle report. The forces of freedom can surely rejoice (although the armies of the oppressor will presumably look to wreak vengeance - if only “pour encourager les autres”). You’ve even encouraged me to checkout Irregular Miniatures 2mm sci-fi offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear. My sci-fi figs are Germy's 2mm minis at https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/2mm-germy-s-micro-minis.html?page=all. Worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kevin. The Germys Infantry do look a bit more impressive (armoured infantry maybe?) than the Irregular Miniatures ones. Perhaps I could have the Germys ones as “power” infantry with the IM ones as more low-tech infantry. Thanks again for the tip,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete