Saturday, March 11, 2023

Battle of Cremini

Napoleon in Italy Campaign
Battle #3

Background
After his victory at San Pietro, Field Marshal Wurmser leads his Austrian forces in an attempt to relieve besieged Turin. But Napoleon recovers from his wounds and intercepts Wurmser.

Set Up
I was out of town last weekend, but I brought along my travel wargame set. I did not have One Hour Wargames with me so I just kind of made up the scenario. I rolled randomly for terrain and got a town in the middle, so I decided that would be the objective.

I rolled for the forces, using a table I concocted. I gave the Austrians an extra unit.

The Battle
The Austrians reach Cremini first with a division of Grenzers.
Note: I did not take pictures of every turn. This is a few turns in.

Napoleon repulses the Grenzers from the town while French cavalry hits the Austrian left.

The French cavalry overruns the the flank.

And in the process, captures Wurmser!

After overrunning Wurmser's division, I rolled a 1 for his fate. After another poor roll and with no friendly units close by, I decided he got captured.

The remaining Austrians retire from the field.

Aftermath
The Austrians retire in disarray, with Napoleon in pursuit. He smells an opportunity to end the campaign.

Napoleon now leads the campaign 2-1. Another victory will conclude the campaign in his favor.

2 comments:

  1. That was a rather lukewarm Austrian performance. Did they actually have a plan? Or, perhaps Napoleon’s genius was in seizing the initiative and obliging his enemies to react.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Austrians started off well, seizing the town first. But fortune (aka the dice) favored the French.

      Delete