Wednesday, August 2, 2023

A Ghoulish Feast

Game Background
I actually had time for a game last weekend! 

I toyed with playing the final battle of my Revolution in Florida campaign but I am still in a fantasy mood. I've been planning scenarios for the next season of my LARP campaign and I thought about running one of those scenarios on the tabletop. However, I don't want to spoil anything in case my players see this post. So I decided to borrow a scenario from last season.

Set Up
The Dark Magi are on the move. The Legion has sent a scouting party out to find the enemy.

Combatants:
  • Empire - Optio Infelix (gray meeple) leads 4 legionaries (red).
    • Infelix wears heavy armor (save 4+) while the legionary scouts have light (save 5+).
    • Infelix can take 3 hits and the legionaries can take 2.
  • Dark Magi - a necromancer (black) leads 6 ghuuls (green. They are essentially zombies)
    • Ghuuls save like they have heavy armor, which reflects their ability to absorb damage. However, they move slowly and are more likely not to activate in a turn (they need 3+)
    • The necromancer has light armor. He can either cast a spell, which works like a ranged attack, or respawn a zombie.
    • Ghuuls can only take 1 hit (they're minions after all) but the necromancer can take 3.
The mission: The scouting party must kill the necromancer.

I played the scenario using a skirmish variant of my MicroBattle rules.

The Skirmish
Infelix leads his squad onto the field of battle. They spot some ghuuls.

Legionary Escamus goes berserk, breaks discipline, and rushes a ghuul. It knocks him down then devours him..

The rest of the squad engages. Another legionary is wounded.

Note: I did not have wound markers handy so I put wounded figures on their side.

Infelix cuts down a ghuul. He then rushes the necromancer. Meanwhile, another legionary is wounded.

A ghuul intercepts Infelix while the necromancer backs off. The wounded legionaries perish while the remaining legionary takes a wound.

Seeing that the day is lost, Infelix calls for a retreat.

But the ghuuls catch up to legionary Postremus and slay him.

Infelix flees. His mission is an abject failure.

Thoughts
Not the result I wanted, but it was still a fun skirmish. It's good to be back gaming. 

3 comments:

  1. Your meeples are recognisable as “people” - but I reckon painted miniatures fight better 😉
    Still, as you mentioned, you’re back gaming again. Let’s hope more will soon follow ⚔️⚔️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not MY painted miniatures! ;)

      Delete
    2. TBH Kevin I have zero ability with a paint brush. I either buy ready painted figures (eBay or “bring & buy” at wargames shows) or buy unpainted (which I then prepare, fix to suitable bases and complete the base terrain before sending to various pro painters to finish off by painting &varnishing etc). In any event, it means I have painted figures to game with - rather than a heap of unpainted lead which just sits there… 😉
      Cheers,
      Geoff

      Delete