Saturday, August 26, 2023

No No, Normans

Recently I actually had a little time to play a game. I decided to pull out Battles of Medieval Britain.

The Campaign
I'm in the midst of a campaign to play all the scenarios from start to finish. So far I am 0-3.

Today's Battle
Today's battle is Hastings. It's ironic because I just posted a Hastings-inspired LARP scenario on my LARP blog.

Set Up
The first picture shows the initial set up.
  • Normans (red) - 1 unit of knights, 1 of archers, and 4 warriors
  • Saxons (blue) - 4 units of spears, 4 of warriors, and King Harold in the red hex (top right)

I play the Normans. My objective is to kill Harold.


The Battle
On the very first turn the Normans lose their knights.

The archers take out a unit of Saxon spears.

Then disaster strikes. The Normans eliminate a unit of Saxon warriors but they lose THREE units.

Shortly followed by another unit.

The last remaining Norman unit piddles around for a few turns before a failed attack.

The day ends. Harold was never even threatened. A decisive Norman defeat!

2 comments:

  1. Well, in THAT alternative reality I suspect England would be a very, very different place (likewise the “knock on” effects on the rest of the world).
    FWIW Mike Lambo (author of BoMB) had a new gamebook published this week - “Long Range Recon Patrol”. I’m sure you can guess in which was that’s set…
    Cheers,
    Geoff 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY different. I keep losing battles that were historical victories.

      Delete